1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help filling in a formula correctly? Not sure about SI units etc!

1. May 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It is estimated that a particular diffuse hydrogen cloud has a particle density of 3e7 cm^-3, and the temperature is 150 K.
    Calculate Jeans mass.

2. Relevant equations

Jeans mass is given by: (5kT/GmewM(H))^(3/2) . (3/4∏p)^(1/2)

where k = boltzmanns constant = 1.38e-23
    T = temperature in Kelvin = 150K
    G = Gravitational constant = 6.673e-11
    mew = mean molecular weight = ?
    m(H)= mass of gas particles = ?
    p = cloud mass density = ?

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I just have to fill in the formula, so it should be simple, but I'm really having trouble calculating the parts of the formula.

I don't have a clue about mean molecular weight OR mass of gas particles, and I THINK the 'cloud mass density' is the number given in the question (3e7 cm^-3) but I don't understand how to convert that to metres (the unit cm^-3 is throwing me off.

I really want to calculate this as accurately as I can, could anyone help please?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2012 #2

tms

You know that the gas is hydrogen, so look it up, keeping in mind that hydrogen gas is H2.

Express the centimeter in meters, then cube it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook