Help finding the derivative of rational/radical function

1. Please help me break down the first couple parts of this derivative question. This question gets a bit ugly:

Find the derivative of F(x)=(-1/sqrt(2x)) +2x

2. jcsd
  3. SteamKing

SteamKing 9,621
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can rewrite F(x) = 2x - (2x)^(-1/2)

Try taking the derivative of this expression.

4. ya but then how do you multiply out (x+deltax)^.5?

5. SammyS

SammyS 8,897
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, do you need to find the derivative by finding the limit: [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{\Delta x \to 0} \frac{F(x+\Delta x)-F(x)}{\Delta x}\,?[/itex]

If so, you'll find it handy to rational the numerator.

6. Yes as delta x approaches zero. I know there is goig to be some conjugate or LCD stuff going on but i got stuck

7. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,809
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So far you haven't shown any work at all. What have you tried to do and where, exactly, do you have a problem?

8. The first thing I did was sub the function into the derivative formula which made a huge mess of a problem to simplify.

[(-1/sqrt2(x+deltax)) +2(x+deltax)] - [(-1/sqrt2x)+2x] all over deltax.

I am a little rusty on working with radicals and tried a few things that ended up in a mess but I am thinking that I should simplify the numerator of this first by finding the LCD of the rational expressions in the numberator of the whole problem. LCD:(sqrt2(x+deltax))(sqrt2x)? Then multiply by the conjugate? I sorta feel on the right track but at the same time I feel that my LCD is incorrect for some reason.

9. SammyS

SammyS 8,897
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's look at your difference quotient in LaTeX.
    [(-1/sqrt2(x+deltax)) +2(x+deltax)] - [(-1/sqrt2x)+2x] all over deltax
    [tex]\frac{\displaystyle \frac{-1}{\sqrt{2(x+\Delta x)}}-\left(\frac{-1}{\sqrt{2(x)}}+2x\right)}{\Delta x}\quad\to\quad \frac{\displaystyle \frac{-1}{\sqrt{2(x+\Delta x)}}-\frac{-1}{\sqrt{2(x)}}}{\Delta x}+\frac{2(x+\Delta x) -2x}{\Delta x}[/tex]

10. SteamKing

SteamKing 9,621
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Instead of trying to find the limit of all of the parts of F(x) at one time, break F(x) into two pieces: 2x and the radical. Since the derivative of a sum is the sum of the derivatives of the components, you can calculate the two limits and add them together.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?