Help finding the second derivative

In summary, f'(x) = x^[2]e^[x](3 + x) and f"(x) = x^[2]e^[x](15x^[2] + x + 3). To find the slope of the line tangent to the graph of f(x) at two different x values, f'(x) should be used. To find f", the product rule can be used twice.
tjohn101

Homework Statement

f(x)= x^(3)e^(x)

Find f'(x) in simplest form.
Find f"(x) in simplest form.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the first derivative to be: (using the product rule)
f'(x) = (e^x)[3x^2] + (x^3)[e^x]
f'(x) = 3x^(2)e^(x) + x^(3)e^(x)
f'(x) = x^[2]e^[x](3 + x)

I'm really not sure how to find f"(x) because of the "e". My initial thoughts would be to use the def. of derivatives on the problem, but then I get confused as to whether I should use the unfactored f'(x) or the factored version, which as far as I can tell would require the product rule. If anyone could help me get to f"(x) that would be great. Thank you!

Also, the next part says to find the slope of the line tangent to the graph of f(x) at two different x values. Would I use f'(x) or f"(x) for this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
to find f", just use the product rule twice ie,
(a(bc))' = a'(bc) + a(bc)' = a'(bc) a(b'c + bc')

for the 2nd part, which do you think represents the slope?

tjohn101 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the first derivative to be: (using the product rule)
f'(x) = (e^x)[3x^2] + (x^3)[e^x]
f'(x) = 3x^(2)e^(x) + x^(3)e^(x)
f'(x) = x^[2]e^[x](3 + x)

Now I need to find the second derivative. I'm really not sure how to find the derivative of f'(x) because of the "e". If anyone could help me get to f"(x) that would be great. Thank you!

Also, the next part says to find the slope of the line tangent to the graph of f(x) at two different x values. Would I use f'(x) or f"(x) for this?

Write back f'(x) = x^[2]e^[x](3 + x) as ex(3x2+x3) and use the product law again.

f'(x) or dy/dx gives the gradient function, which is the gradient of the tangent at a point x on the curve f(x).

Okay, I did what you guys said and ended up with:

f"(x)= x^[2]e^[x](15x^[2] + x + 3)

I don't know if I did it right. What do you guys think?

And now that I think about it it's obvious that f'(x) should be used for the slope.. Thanks guys!

I did not get that, post your working showing how you got that.

rock.freak667 said:
I did not get that, post your working showing how you got that.

f'(x)= e^[x](3x^[2] + x^[3])

f"(x)= e^[x](3x^[2] + x^[3]) + e^[x]((6x)(x^[3]) + (3x^[2])(3x^[2]) <---I think I messed up in here

= 3x^[2]e^[x] + x^[3]e^[x] + 15x^[4]e^[x]

=x^[2]e^[x](15x^[2] + x + 3)

I could've messed up anywhere and I'll never see it. Where did I go wrong?

tjohn101 said:
f'(x)= e^[x](3x^[2] + x^[3])

f"(x)= e^[x](3x^[2] + x^[3]) + e^[x]((6x)(x^[3]) + (3x^[2])(3x^[2]) <---I think I messed up in here

= 3x^[2]e^[x] + x^[3]e^[x] + 15x^[4]e^[x]

=x^[2]e^[x](15x^[2] + x + 3)

I could've messed up anywhere and I'll never see it. Where did I go wrong?

u=ex

v=3x2+x3

now just find u(dv/dx)+v(du/dx)

I ended up with 6xe^[x](x+2)

In case I got it wrong, is the derivative of 3x^[2]+x^[3] 3x^[2]+6x? And how did you type the exponents in there?

tjohn101 said:
I ended up with 6xe^[x](x+2)

In case I got it wrong, is the derivative of 3x^[2]+x^[3] 3x^[2]+6x? And how did you type the exponents in there?

use the X2 tag in the reply box.

u=ex du/dx=ex

v=3x2+x3 dv/dx=6x+3x2

sub those back into the formula. You should get a different answer.

How does xex(x2+6x+6) sound?

tjohn101 said:
How does xex(x2+6x+6) sound?

Much better.

Thanks for the help! I caught my simple mistake there at the end.I was using the derivative of v twice in the equation instead of once... : /

What is a second derivative?

A second derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function's slope. It is calculated by taking the derivative of the derivative of the original function.

Why is finding the second derivative important?

Finding the second derivative can provide information about the concavity and points of inflection of a function. It can also be used to solve optimization problems and analyze the curvature of a curve.

How do you find the second derivative?

The second derivative can be found by taking the derivative of the first derivative, using the standard rules of differentiation. In some cases, it may be necessary to use the chain rule or the product rule to find the second derivative.

Can the second derivative be negative?

Yes, the second derivative can be negative if the function is concave down. This means that the rate of change of the slope is decreasing, and the function is curving downwards.

What is the connection between the second derivative and the graph of a function?

The second derivative can provide information about the shape of the graph of a function. A positive second derivative indicates a concave up shape, while a negative second derivative indicates a concave down shape. Points of inflection can also be identified using the second derivative.