Help Finding The Tension Force of a String (Not a Homework Problem)

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a rudimentary stringed instrument and using equations to determine the tension force on the string and the increase in tension with each full turn of the dowel. The equation fλ=sqrt(F/u) is used, where f is frequency, F is tension force, and u is linear density of the string. The speed of sound in air is not relevant to finding λ, which is twice the vibrating length of the string. It is also mentioned that the speed of a traveling wave in the string can be found using v=λf, which is different from the speed of sound in air and depends on the tension and mass per unit length of the string.
AFinch
I'm trying to put together a little physics project, and I've constructed a rudimentary stringed instrument using a 2-liter bottle and some string. The string is fed through the bottom of the bottle and wound around a small dowel at the top end, and a small hole has been cut near middle of the bottle so you can put a finger inside to pluck the string. I want to determine the tension force on the string, and then find the increase in tension with each full turn of the dowel.

I know that the tension can be found from the equation fλ=sqrt(F/u), where f is frequency, F is the tension force and u is the linear density of the string. I've found u by dividing the length of the string by its mass. After winding the string, I use a guitar tuner to find frequencies.

My questions are:

If I use the equation v=λf to find λ, would v simply be the speed of sound in air?

When I wind the string around the dowel, can I even use my original value for u since the string will be stretched? Any suggestions or enlightenment would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
AFinch said:
If I use the equation v=λf to find λ, would v simply be the speed of sound in air?
No. λ is twice the vibrating length of the string. It has nothing to do with the speed of sound in air. The string would vibrate at the same frequency in a vacuum, though you wouldn't be able to hear it.

You can use v=λf to find the "speed of sound" (more accurately, the speed of a traveling wave) in the string. That will not be the same as the speed of sound in air, and as your other formula shows, it depends on the tension in the string and its mass per unit length.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/string.html

1. What is tension force?

Tension force is a force that occurs when a string or other type of material is pulled or stretched in opposite directions. It is the force that is responsible for keeping the string taut and preventing it from breaking.

2. How do you find the tension force of a string?

The tension force of a string can be found by using a simple formula: T = F * L, where T is the tension force, F is the force applied to the string, and L is the length of the string. This formula assumes that the string is massless and inextensible.

3. Can the tension force of a string be negative?

No, the tension force of a string cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the magnitude of the force that is pulling the string taut.

4. What factors affect the tension force of a string?

The tension force of a string can be affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the string, the force applied to the string, and the angle at which the force is applied. The tension force will also change if the length of the string is altered.

5. Can the tension force of a string be measured directly?

Yes, in some cases the tension force of a string can be measured directly using a tension meter or dynamometer. However, in most cases it is calculated using the formula mentioned in question 2.