1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help for calculation of the heat of the following reaction

1. Jun 19, 2015 #1
    Anybody can help for calculation of the heat of the following reaction?

Some background:
    Ligand X bind to protein M, the product is MX. Binding affinity of X to M is K = [MX]/([M]*[X]).
    [MX], [M], [X] are the concentrations of each stuff after the reaction finished.
    The ratio of MX to total M is θ = [MX]/([M]+[MX]).
    ΔH is the molar heat of M, V is the volume of reaction.
    Mt and Xt is the concentration of total M and X at the beginning of the reaction.
    So, for this reaction the heat Q = θ*Mt*ΔH*V

My Question is:
    The beginning products: Xt= 50 uM, Mt=400 uM, also some [MX] = 4 um, ( Mt is the total concentration of M, including the M in MX),
    V=200 ul, K= 100000 M-1, and ΔH =-4000
    How to calculate the heat Q for above reaction?

Tons of thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No idea what you mean by that.

And no idea what the problem is - you are given equation, you are given data, why don't you plug the numbers in?

4. Jun 19, 2015 #3
    Thanks for your post.

The equation I have is only for M and X at the beginning of the reaction. My question now is there is small amount of MX mixed in the beginning.

5. Jun 19, 2015 #4
    I guess it is hard to calculate θ, just leave it in the final answer

6. Jun 20, 2015 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Isn't it just a trivial equilibrium problem? Easily solved with an ICE chart? You are given K, you know the reaction equation, you know starting concentrations.

7. Jun 21, 2015 #6
    Thanks! I will try the ICE chart.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted