Help for test - functional analysis

In summary, functional analysis is a scientific method that involves identifying and analyzing the functions and interactions within a system. It can be applied to testing to understand the purpose and behavior of a system and create effective test cases. The benefits of using functional analysis in testing include comprehensive testing and saving time and resources. The steps involved in performing functional analysis for testing include identifying functions, developing a test strategy, designing and executing test cases, and analyzing results. Additionally, functional analysis can be used for both manual and automated testing as it provides a systematic approach for understanding a system's functions and interactions.
simpleton1
Hi - my professor in functional analysis posted 4 prior years tests just 4 days before the test without solutions.
I'd appreciate if anyone can help send solutions for the following with the following questions :

1. $\mu$ is a sigma additive measure over sigma algebra $\Sigma$.
A $\in \varSigma$ is some finite set and we'll define the function m:$\Sigma$ to R
such that $m(B) = \mu (A \cup B)$.
Show that m is a sigma additive measure iff $\mu (A) = 0$.

2. Let f:[0,$\infty$) to [0,$\infty$) transformation given by f(x)=x+exp(-x)
Prove that $\left| f(x)-f(y) \right| < \left| x-y \right|$ for every $x\ne y$.
Is there a constant a between 0 and 1 such that $\left| f(x)-f(y) \right| < a\left| x-y \right|$
for every $x\ne y$ at [0,$\infty$)

3. X is the sapce of all infinite series of real numbers with a finite number of
elements which are different than 0 (mark elements by (a1,a2,...)).
Define two norms over X :
$\left\lVert{a}\right\rVert{}_1{}$ = $\sum_{n}^{\infty} \left| a{}_n{} \right|$
and
$\left\lVert{a}\right\rVert{}_\infty{}$ = $max( \left| a{}_n{} \right| )$

Define operator L so that L (from X to X) shifts elements left and divides by their location :
(a1,a2,...) change to (a2/1,a2/3,a3/4,...).
Is L an obstructed linear transformation from X1 to X1? If yes - what is it's Norm?
Is L and obstrcuted linear transofrmation from $\left\lVert{X}\right\rVert{}_\infty{}$ to $\left\lVert{X}\right\rVert{}_1$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: help for test - functional analysis\mu

Hello again, simpleton,

Please edit your post, as it contains many errors.

1. The term "group" should be replaced with "measurable set".

2. The conclusion does not make sense. Did you mean "There exists a constant $\alpha$ such that for all $x,y\in [0,\infty)$, $x\neq y$ implies $|f(x) - f(y)| < \alpha|x - y|$?"

3. You've defined $\|a\|_1$ and $\|a\|_\infty$ exactly the same. It should be $\|a\|_\infty = \sup\{|a_n| :n\in \Bbb N\}$. The definition of $L$ seems off -- shouldn't it be $L(a) = \left(\frac{a_2}{1}, \frac{a_3}{2}, \frac{a_4}{3},\ldots\right)$?

Also, please put some space between problems so that it's easier to read.

Re: help for test - functional analysis\mu

Hi Euge - thanks for the commentation. I did post the questions under the influence of tiredness. :D

I've fixed most things I think. You are right about the definition of L in question 3. I just got too lazy to
Latex it.

1. It follows from the fact that $m(\emptyset) = 0$ if and only if $\mu(A) = 0$.

2. Note that $f'(x) = 1 - \exp(-x) < 1$ for all $x > 0$. Now use the mean value theorem to establish the inequality $\lvert f(x) - f(y)\rvert < \lvert x - y\rvert$ for all $x,y\in [0,\infty)$ with $x\neq y$. For the second statement, the answer is no. For otherwise $f'$ is bounded by $\alpha$ on $[0,\infty)$. Then $\sup\{f'(x) : x\in [0,\infty)\} = 1 > \alpha$.

3. If my definition of $L$ is correct (which still differs from yours), then $L$ is a linear operator on $X$. For all $a\in X_1$,

$$\|L(a)\|_1 = \sum_{n = 2}^\infty \frac{\lvert a_n\rvert}{n-1} \le \sum_{n = 2}^\infty \lvert a_n\rvert \le \|a\|_1,$$

thus $\|L\|_{X_1\to X_1} \le 1$. On the other hand, $\|(0,1,0,0,\ldots)\|_1 = 1$ and $\|L(0,1,0,0,\ldots)\|_1 = \|(1,0,0,0,\ldots)\|_1 = 1$. Therefore, $\|L\|_{X_1\to X_1} \ge 1$, proving that $\|L\|_{X_1\to X_1} = 1$.

However, $L$ is not a transformation from $X_\infty$ to $X_1$, since $a = (1,1,1,1,\ldots) \in X_\infty$ (with $\|a\|_\infty = 1$), but $\|L(a)\|_1 = \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty \frac{1}{n} = +\infty$.

Ok, Thanks.
I got the first two questions and the first part of question 3.
But the second part of 3 has still got me confused - since the number of elements in a different
than 0 are finite , the sum of $\left\lVert{a}\right\rVert\infty$ over a=(1,1,1,1,...0,0,0) will not
be $\infty$ but a finite number.

I was going to correct the error but you beat me to it! Actually, I defined $a$ to be the sequence of $1$'s, no zeros are in the sequence. That is a problem since then $a$ does not belong to $X$.

Let's try this again...

$L$ is not a transformation from $X_\infty$ to $X_1$. For given $m\in \Bbb N$, let $a^m = (1,1,\ldots,\underbrace{1}_{m+1},0,0,\ldots)$. Then $\|a^m\|_\infty = 1$ and $\|L(a^m)\|_1 = H_m$, then $m$th harmonic sum. Hence $\|L\|_{X_\infty\to X_1} \ge H_m$. Since $m$ was arbitrary and $(H_m)_{m\in \Bbb N}$ is a divergent sequence, then $\|L\|_{X_\infty\to X_1} = \infty$.

1. What is functional analysis?

Functional analysis is a scientific method used to study the relationships between a system or organism and its environment. It involves identifying and analyzing the functions of different elements within a system and how they interact with each other.

2. How can functional analysis be applied to testing?

In testing, functional analysis can be used to understand the purpose and behavior of a system or software. It can help identify the functions and interactions that need to be tested and guide the creation of test cases.

3. What are the benefits of using functional analysis in testing?

Functional analysis helps ensure that all relevant functions and interactions of a system are tested, which leads to more comprehensive and effective testing. It also helps identify and prioritize critical components for testing, saving time and resources.

4. What are the steps involved in performing functional analysis for testing?

The first step is to identify the functions and interactions within the system. Next, a test strategy is developed based on the identified functions and interactions. Then, test cases are designed and executed to verify the expected behavior of each function. Finally, the results are analyzed and any necessary adjustments are made.

5. Can functional analysis be used for both manual and automated testing?

Yes, functional analysis can be applied to both manual and automated testing. It provides a systematic approach to understanding the functions and interactions of a system, which can be used to guide both manual and automated testing processes.