1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help grading papers: Residue Thm. w/Rational fcns

1. Feb 8, 2006 #1

benorin

Homework Helper

Ok, the quick and dirty: The given Theorem: If f is analytic everywhere in the finite complex plane except for a finite number of singular points interior to a positively oriented simple closed contour C, then

[tex]\int_{C}f(z)dz=2\pi i \mbox{Res}\left[ \frac{1}{z^2}f\left( \frac{1}{z}\right) ;z=0\right][/tex]

The problem: If [tex]P(z)=a_0+a_1z+\cdots +a_nz^n[/tex] and [tex]Q(z)=b_0+b_1z+\cdots+b_mz^m[/tex] where [tex]m\geq n+2,a_0\neq 0, b_0\neq 0[/tex] and all the zeros of Q(z) lie interior to C, prove that

[tex]\int_{C}\frac{P(z)}{Q(z)}dz=0[/tex]

Apply the theorem to get

[tex]\int_{C}\frac{P(z)}{Q(z)}dz=2\pi i \mbox{Res}\left[ \frac{1}{z^2}\frac{P\left( \frac{1}{z}\right) }{Q\left( \frac{1}{z}\right) } ;z=0\right][/tex]
    now what??? Pratial fractions? That is somewhat brutal, isn't there some simple way to do this. Thanks. --Ben

Papers due in a few hours, please hurry...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

I got it...

[tex]\frac{1}{z^2}\frac{P\left( \frac{1}{z}\right) }{Q\left( \frac{1}{z}\right) } ;z=0\right] = \frac{p(z)}{q(z)}[/tex] where deg(p) +2<= deg(q), and the constant term of q is b_m which is non-zero and hence the residue is 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?