Integration using residue theorem

In summary, the conversation is about using the residue theorem to integrate a complex function and the process of factorizing the function to find the residue and compute the final integral value. The final answer is ##2\pi/7##.
MissP.25_5
Hi. I have to use the residue theorem to integrate f(z).
Can someone help me out? I am stuck on the factorization part.

Find the integral
$$\int_{0}^{2\pi} \,\frac{d\theta}{25-24\cos\left({\theta}\right)}$$

My answer:
$$\int_{0}^{2\pi} \,\frac{d\theta}{25-24\cos\left({\theta}\right)}=\oint_{c}^{} \,\frac{dz/iz}{25-24(\frac{1}{2}(z+\frac{1}{z}))}$$

$$=\frac{1}{i}\oint_{c}^{} \,\frac{dz}{-12z^2+25z-12}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Try something like ##-12z^2 + 25z -12 = -(12z^2-25z+12) = -(3z+\cdots)(4z+\cdots)##.

vela said:
Try something like ##-12z^2 + 25z -12 = -(12z^2-25z+12) = -(3z+\cdots)(4z+\cdots)##.

Got it.

Here's my continuation:

$$\frac{1}{i}\oint_{c}^{}\frac{dz}{-(4z-3)(3z-4)}=-\frac{1}{i}\oint_{c}^{}\frac{dz}{(4z-3)(3z-4)}$$

It has a singularity at z=3/4

$$Resf(z)_{|z=\frac{3}{4}|}=\lim_{{z}\to{\frac{3}{4}}}(z-\frac{3}{4})(\frac{1}{(4z-3)(3z-4)})=\frac{-7}{5}$$

By residue theorem, the integral becomes
$$2\pi{i}\frac{-1}{i}\frac{-7}{5}=\frac{14\pi}{5} $$

Is this correct? Check please.

I had a miscalculation. The final answer should be ##2\pi/7##.

Looks good.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the residue theorem?

The residue theorem is a mathematical tool used in complex analysis to evaluate integrals of complex functions over closed curves. It states that the integral of a function around a closed curve is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at its isolated singularities within the curve.

2. How is the residue theorem used in integration?

The residue theorem is used to simplify the process of evaluating complex integrals over closed curves. It allows for the use of Cauchy's integral formula, which states that the value of an integral can be found by evaluating the function at its singularities and multiplying by 2πi.

3. What are singularities in complex analysis?

Singularities are points where a complex function is undefined or has a discontinuity. They can be classified as either isolated or essential. Isolated singularities are removable, meaning the function can be extended to be continuous at that point. Essential singularities, on the other hand, cannot be removed and have an infinite number of terms in their Laurent series.

4. How do I find the residues of a complex function?

To find the residue of a complex function at a given singularity, you can use the formula Res(f,c) = limz→c (z-c)f(z), where c is the singularity and f(z) is the complex function. This formula can be simplified for different types of singularities, such as poles or essential singularities.

5. What are some applications of the residue theorem?

The residue theorem has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. Some examples include calculating complex integrals in quantum mechanics, solving differential equations in engineering, and evaluating Fourier transforms in signal processing. It is also used in the study of Riemann surfaces and complex dynamics.