1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elliptic functions, residue computation, same zeros and poles

1. Apr 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi,

I am trying to understand the attached:

gollygosh.png

I know that if two functions have zeros and poles at the same point and of the same order then they differ only by a multiplicative constant, so that is fine, as both have a double zero at ##z=w_j/2## and a double pole at ##z=0##.

But I don't understand at all the idea before determining what the constant ##C## should be?
    I thought that perhaps we had set the residues at the double pole ##z=0## equal, but this is given by:

##\frac{1}{2}lim_{z \to 0} \frac{d}{dz}(z^2f(z)) ##,

whereas it looks like we've compared

##lim_{z \to 0} z^{2} f(z) ##,

so unless we have some reason to take the derivative outside the limit or something, I don't understand what we've done, and even whether my thoughts are on the right track and the residues are being compared?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Relevant equations

see above

3. The attempt at a solution

see above

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2017 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted