Help I am 30 yr old who wants to study EECS

• Thread starter changeseeker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, based on your background in economics and industrial engineering, you may need to take prerequisite courses in math, physics, and chemistry to pursue a Master's degree in electrical engineering. It would be beneficial to choose a concentration in embedded systems, but other concentrations may also be relevant. Alternatively, obtaining a second Bachelor's degree may be an option. Seek guidance from academic advisors and professionals in the field to determine the best path for you.
changeseeker
I have an undergraduate and master's degree in economics, and a PhD (candidacy) in industrial engineering.

As part of some research I have been doing on campus, I have discovered my true calling: to build hardware and software to help promote democracy and improve the lives of people in minority communities and developing countries.

As a result, I have decided to study electrical engineering, in embedded systems, I think. The question is what is the best way to do so after having obtained a PhD.

First, there is the issue of prerequisites. As an economist by training, I only possesses the minimal math required for economics and industrial engineering. I've never taken physics, biology or chemistry, other than in high school. I assume I will need to take these prerequisites -- at least, math, physics, and chemistry -- to study electrical engineering.

Second, do I do a Master's degree, and if so, in what concentration? My interest is in HW and SW engineering and in communications like mixed signals or DSP. Would this be a concentration in embedded systems, or should I be considering other concentrations as well?

Finally, if I do not get a Master's degree, should I just do another Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering?

In any case, I've found it difficult to figure out how to navigate the process by myself, so I would appreciate any suggestions, help, and advice that you may have to share so as to figure out the best path to pursue.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, congratulations on discovering your true passion and calling in the field of electrical engineering! It takes a lot of courage and determination to make such a decision after already completing a PhD in a different field.

Based on your background in economics and industrial engineering, it is likely that you will need to take some prerequisite courses in math, physics, and chemistry in order to pursue a Master's degree in electrical engineering. These courses will provide you with the foundational knowledge necessary to succeed in the more advanced courses in your chosen concentration. I recommend reaching out to the admissions department of the university you are interested in attending to inquire about their specific prerequisite requirements for their electrical engineering program.

As for the Master's degree, it would be beneficial for you to choose a concentration in embedded systems, as this aligns with your interests in hardware and software engineering and communications. However, it may also be worth considering other concentrations such as control systems or power systems, as these may also have applications in promoting democracy and improving the lives of people in minority communities and developing countries. It would be helpful to research the course offerings and faculty expertise in each concentration to determine which one best aligns with your goals.

Alternatively, if you do not wish to pursue a Master's degree, you could consider obtaining a second Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering. This would provide you with a more comprehensive understanding of the field and may be beneficial if you do not have a strong background in math and science. However, keep in mind that this may require a significant time and financial commitment.

I understand that navigating the process of transitioning from a PhD to a new field can be daunting, so I recommend seeking guidance from academic advisors and professors in the electrical engineering department at your chosen university. They can provide valuable insights and advice on the best path to pursue based on your specific background and goals. Additionally, networking with professionals in the field and attending relevant conferences and workshops can also help you gain more knowledge and make important connections.

Best of luck on your journey towards becoming an electrical engineer and using your skills to make a positive impact in the world. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Hello, it's great to hear that you have found your true calling in building hardware and software for promoting democracy and improving the lives of people in minority communities and developing countries. Pursuing a degree in electrical engineering will definitely help you achieve your goals in this field.

As for the best way to approach this, it would be beneficial for you to first assess your current knowledge and skills in math and science. Since you have a background in economics and industrial engineering, it is likely that you will need to take some prerequisite courses in math, physics, and possibly chemistry in order to succeed in an electrical engineering program. You may also want to consider taking some introductory courses in electrical engineering to get a better understanding of the field and its various concentrations.

In terms of pursuing a Master's degree or another Bachelor's degree, it ultimately depends on your personal goals and career aspirations. A Master's degree will provide you with more in-depth knowledge and specialization in a specific concentration, such as embedded systems or mixed signals. However, if you feel that you need a more comprehensive understanding of electrical engineering, pursuing another Bachelor's degree may be a better option for you.

I would also recommend reaching out to faculty members or advisors in the electrical engineering department at your university to discuss your interests and goals. They can provide valuable insights and guidance on the best path for you to pursue in your studies.

Additionally, networking with professionals in the field, attending conferences and workshops, and getting involved in related research projects can also help you gain a better understanding of the field and make informed decisions about your academic and career path.

Overall, it's important to have a clear understanding of your goals and to do thorough research and seek guidance from experts in the field to make the best decision for your future in electrical engineering. I wish you all the best in your studies and endeavors.

1. What is EECS?

EECS stands for Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. It is a field of study that combines the principles of both electrical engineering and computer science to design and develop innovative technologies.

2. Is it too late to study EECS at the age of 30?

No, it is never too late to pursue your interests and passions. Many people change their career paths later in life and are still able to succeed in their chosen field. Age should not be a barrier to pursuing your education and goals.

3. What kind of job opportunities are available for EECS graduates?

EECS graduates have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries such as technology, telecommunications, aerospace, and defense. Some common job titles include software engineer, electrical engineer, data scientist, and systems analyst.

4. Do I need a strong background in math and science to study EECS?

Yes, EECS is a highly technical field and requires a strong foundation in math and science. Some key subjects include calculus, physics, and computer programming. However, with dedication and hard work, anyone can develop the necessary skills for success in EECS.

5. Can I study EECS online?

Yes, there are many accredited universities and colleges that offer online programs for EECS. These programs provide the same quality education as traditional on-campus programs and offer flexibility for students who may have other commitments such as work or family.