1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! I am 30 yr old who wants to study EECS

1. Aug 22, 2009 #1
    I have an undergraduate and master's degree in economics, and a PhD (candidacy) in industrial engineering.

As part of some research I have been doing on campus, I have discovered my true calling: to build hardware and software to help promote democracy and improve the lives of people in minority communities and developing countries.

As a result, I have decided to study electrical engineering, in embedded systems, I think. The question is what is the best way to do so after having obtained a PhD.

First, there is the issue of prerequisites. As an economist by training, I only possess the minimal math required for economics and industrial engineering. I've never taken physics, biology or chemistry, other than in high school. I assume I will need to take these prerequisites -- at least, math, physics, and chemistry -- to study electrical engineering.

Second, do I do a Master's degree, and if so, in what concentration? My interest is in HW and SW engineering and in communications like mixed signals or DSP. Would this be a concentration in embedded systems, or should I be considering other concentrations as well?

Finally, if I do not get a Master's degree, should I just do another Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering?

In any case, I've found it difficult to figure out how to navigate the process by myself, so I would appreciate any suggestions, help, and advice that you may have to share so as to figure out the best path to pursue.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted