Help I'm feeling stupid. :( ("A solid sphere rolls down an incline)

In summary, the question asks for the angle of an incline plane which causes a solid sphere to have a linear acceleration of 1.21 m/s2 while rolling down without slipping. The equation a = g * sin(θ) is incorrect as it neglects the rotational inertia and the friction force involved. The correct equation should take these factors into consideration. The mass of the sphere cancels out in the final result.
Qwurticus

Homework Statement

"A solid sphere rolls down an incline plane without slipping. If the center of mass of the sphere has a linear acceleration of 1.21 m/s2, what is the angle of the incline to the horizontal?"

Homework Equations

a = g * sin(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got home from a long day at work and can't seem to make my mind click on how to solve this problem. What's throwing me off is that the linear acceleration is given in m/s2, but when I googled some similar problems to this one and they all give the linear acc. in 'g'. I think I need mass but I can't figure out how to get it or if I'm even correct.

Can someone help me? Am I over-complicating this, or am I just being incredibly stupid. :( Brain doesn't want to work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Qwurticus said:
What's throwing me off is that the linear acceleration is given in m/s2, but when I googled some similar problems to this one and they all give the linear acc. in 'g'.

"g" also has units of m/s^2 (g=9.8 m/s^2)

Qwurticus said:
I think I need mass but I can't figure out how to get it or if I'm even correct.

If you think you need mass, just use "m" in place of the mass and solve.

But let me ask you, does gravitational acceleration usually depend on mass?

Hi qwuarticus. Welcome to Physics Forums.

The equation you gave is correct if you can neglect the rotational inertia of the sphere. Otherwise, you need to take that into consideration. In either case, the mass of the sphere cancels out of the final result.

Chet

Qwurticus said:

Homework Equations

a = g * sin(θ)
This would be the acceleration if there was zero friction and the sphere was sliding down the incline, but there is a friction force involved that causes the sphere to roll. You need to fix this equation to take the friction force into account.

First of all, feeling "stupid" is a normal and human emotion. We all have moments where our minds don't seem to work as well as we'd like them to. It's important to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective.

In terms of solving this problem, you are on the right track. The linear acceleration is given in m/s2, which is equivalent to the acceleration due to gravity (g) on Earth. So you can use the equation a = g * sin(θ) to solve for the angle θ.

To find the mass of the sphere, you can use the formula for linear acceleration a = F/m, where F is the net force acting on the sphere and m is the mass. In this case, the only force acting on the sphere is its weight (mg), so you can rearrange the equation to solve for m.

Remember, it's important to always check your units and make sure they are consistent. In this case, the units for mass should be in kilograms (kg) and the units for acceleration should be in meters per second squared (m/s2).

I hope this helps and don't be too hard on yourself. Problem-solving can be challenging, but with practice and determination, you will be able to solve this and many more problems in the future.

1. How does the mass of the solid sphere affect its rolling down an incline?

The mass of the solid sphere affects its rolling down an incline by influencing its acceleration and momentum. A heavier sphere will have a greater force of gravity pulling it down the incline, resulting in a faster acceleration and more momentum. This means the sphere will roll down the incline at a faster speed.

2. Does the shape of the solid sphere affect its rolling down an incline?

Yes, the shape of the solid sphere does affect its rolling down an incline. A round sphere will have a more uniform distribution of mass, making it easier to roll down the incline without tipping over. A sphere with an irregular shape may have uneven mass distribution, causing it to roll in a less predictable manner.

3. How does the angle of the incline affect the rolling of the solid sphere?

The angle of the incline affects the rolling of the solid sphere by influencing its acceleration and speed. A steeper incline will result in a greater force of gravity pulling the sphere down, resulting in a faster acceleration and higher speed. A shallower incline will result in a slower acceleration and lower speed.

4. What is the relationship between friction and the rolling of the solid sphere down an incline?

Friction plays a crucial role in the rolling of a solid sphere down an incline. Friction between the surface of the incline and the sphere causes a force in the opposite direction of motion, slowing down the sphere's speed. The amount of friction present will determine how quickly or slowly the sphere rolls down the incline.

5. Can the solid sphere ever reach a state of constant velocity while rolling down an incline?

Yes, the solid sphere can reach a state of constant velocity while rolling down an incline if there is no external force acting on it. This means that the force of gravity pulling the sphere down the incline is equal to the force of friction slowing it down, resulting in a constant velocity. However, if there is a net external force acting on the sphere, it will continue to accelerate or decelerate down the incline.