Electrical Engineering Questions

In summary, To increase chances of landing a job and making more money in the future, it is beneficial to minor or double major in a field that is in demand, such as computer science. However, it is important to also gain practical experience through projects and relevant courses. Approximately, it may require extra units to double major, but minoring should not be a problem. It is also recommended to consider research projects in the relevant field to gain practical skills.
kElect
To all the electrical engineers out there, is it worth minoring or double majoring in something for electrical engineering. I don't really know the choices I have, so please let me know.

Can you give me two separate answers(if the answers are different)
1)Which minor/double major is most needed(in demand) out in the real world. In other words, which would increase my chances to land a job in the future.
2)Which minor/double major would make me the most money?(also, tell me if the jobs in this field are plentiful or not) I hope to get a job that pays at least 70k in the future.

edit: btw, I live in california if that matters for the above questions.

Also, my school has a cap to how many units engineers may take, let me know around how many extra units it would take to double major in whatever your answer is for the above questions. I don't think minoring would be a problem.

And if minoring/double majoring is not worth it at all, let me know. I don't want to waste my time and money in school.

Thank you for your help

~~
Kevin

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
any advice at all? I'm kind of interested in programming, although I'm pretty new at it. So should I minor in CS? Or is it a waste of time?

kElect said:
any advice at all? I'm kind of interested in programming, although I'm pretty new at it. So should I minor in CS? Or is it a waste of time?

Hey kElect and welcome to the forums.

With regards to programming, if you are keen on this my advice is to take an introductory course or two and then work on some kind of project and then continue this kind of thing in a specific domain.

Chances are you can find something at your university with some kind of research project where a bit of programming is required. Also if you do some kind of electrical/computing/telecommunications engineering, you will be doing this kind of thing in the relevant context.

Related to Electrical Engineering Questions

1. What is electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering is a field of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves designing, developing, testing, and maintaining electrical systems, devices, and equipment.

2. What are the core concepts of electrical engineering?

The core concepts of electrical engineering include circuits, electronics, electromagnetism, power systems, control systems, and signal processing. These concepts are essential in designing and analyzing electrical systems and devices.

3. What kind of jobs can I get with a degree in electrical engineering?

There are a variety of job opportunities for electrical engineers, including roles in power systems, telecommunications, computer hardware and software development, aerospace, and renewable energy. Some common job titles include electrical engineer, electronics engineer, power systems engineer, and control systems engineer.

4. What skills are important for electrical engineers?

Some important skills for electrical engineers include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, analytical skills, and strong mathematical and technical abilities. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are also important in this field.

5. What is the future outlook for careers in electrical engineering?

The demand for electrical engineers is expected to grow in the coming years, as technology continues to advance and new industries emerge. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a 5% growth in employment for electrical engineers from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations.