Help in designing electromagnets

In summary: It sounds like you are looking for advice on how to optimise a design for creating more forces. You could try using a simulation tool or consulting with a professional.
Nmbr6
Hi all,
First post, be gentle...

I'm trying to build a system based on the MIT Actuated Workbench.
They used electromagnets with the following spec:
1.9cm (0.75”) diameter x 3.8cm (1.5”) length, wound with 32-gauge copper wire with a total length resistance of 120-122 ohms, with no metal housings so to not focus the magnetic field.
They used 27 DC volts and draws about 250mA.

From what I read, it seamed to be an almost arbitrary choice though, so I was hoping to optimist the design to create more forces. I was also hoping to use a more standard 24V power supply (not sure why they used 27...)

I'm not sure where to start this process and I was hoping to get some advice.

I thought maybe some trial and error through a simulation tool could work, but tell me what you think (also for that, so far I saw recommendations for FEMM, MaxFEM, Vizimag, Elmer and OpenFOEM, so I could also use a recommendation for which one to use)

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nmbr6 said:
so I was hoping to optimist the design to create more forces.

So is the question "how does one calculate strength of an electromagnet? " ? Any search engine should respond to that question.
The basic approach is amp-turns per unit length X permeability.
With 32 gage wire it's a sure bet they used copious turns and meager amps to get the amp-turn product they wanted.
You already know the amps, around ¼ .
To estimate # turns figure length of #32 to make 120 ohms. How many times will that wrap around a ¾ inch core?

The video you posted is long on applications but short on mechanical details.
They gave no clue how they detect position of a puck over the array of electromagnets.

Nmbr6 said:
I'm not sure where to start this process and I was hoping to get some advice.
It's hard to figure out what you are asking.

1. What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. This current generates a magnetic field that can attract or repel other magnetic materials.

2. How does the design of an electromagnet affect its strength?

The strength of an electromagnet is affected by the number of coils in the wire, the amount of current passing through the wire, and the type of core material used. Increasing any of these factors can increase the strength of the electromagnet.

3. What is the best material for the core of an electromagnet?

The best material for an electromagnet's core is one that is easily magnetized and demagnetized, such as iron or steel. These materials have high magnetic permeability, which allows them to become strongly magnetized when exposed to an electric current.

4. How can I calculate the strength of an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet can be calculated using the equation B = μ0 * μr * N * I, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, μr is the relative permeability of the core material, N is the number of turns in the coil, and I is the current in amperes.

5. What are some common uses for electromagnets?

Electromagnets have a wide range of applications, including in motors, generators, speakers, MRI machines, and magnetic separation devices. They are also commonly used in everyday objects such as doorbells and refrigerators.