Help with Physics HW: Jane & Jim's Race to the Drop

• Thread starter meandyou741
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, Jane and Jim are both traveling on a road, with Jane initially going 3 m/s on a bike and Jim at rest. At the end of the road is a 30 m drop. Jane passes Jim and continues at a constant velocity. Jim then starts moving 20 seconds later, accelerating at 0.5 m/s^2 for 20 seconds and then continuing at a constant velocity until he catches up to Jane. After Jim has been traveling for 8 seconds, Jane accelerates at 5/12 m/s^2 for 12 seconds and then continues at a constant velocity. The total length of the road is 350m. By comparing the areas under their respective speed vs time graphs, it can be
meandyou741
Jane is going 3 m/s in a bike
at the end of the road is a 30 m drop.
jane passes jim
jim goes after jane 20 sec later, going 0.5 m/s^2 for 20 sec, then at a constant velocity until he reaches jane,
after jim has been traveling 8 sec, jane accelerates to 5/12 m/s^2 for 12 sec then continuing at a constant velocity.
if the road is 350m long, will jane and jim ever be at the same place?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
Ordinarily you must attempt the question before we can help, but since it is your first post I will try to get you started. It is very important to post the question exactly as given. Your question is missing the initial speed for Jim, so it cannot be solved as written.

A good way to work out a question like this is to make a sketch of the speed vs time graph for each rider. For the first 20 seconds, both are going at constant speed so you'll have horizontal lines on both graphs. Then Jim accelerates so you will have a line with a slope equal to his acceleration.

After sketching the graphs, figure out the areas under each section of the graphs. The area is the distance travelled. Then you are in a position to sum the distances up to each time on each graph and compare them. Perhaps a table showing time and the two distances would be the best way to organize the comparison.

The initial speed of jim is zero because he is at rest when jane passes him. And thank you for your reply. I'll make sure to post my work next time.

1. How can I solve the problem in "Jane & Jim's Race to the Drop"?

To solve the problem in "Jane & Jim's Race to the Drop," you will need to use the formula d = vt, where d is distance, v is velocity, and t is time. You will also need to consider the initial conditions given for both Jane and Jim, such as their starting positions and velocities.

2. What are the units for distance, velocity, and time in the "Jane & Jim's Race to the Drop" problem?

The units for distance, velocity, and time in the "Jane & Jim's Race to the Drop" problem will depend on the units given in the problem. However, some common units for these quantities are meters (m) for distance, meters per second (m/s) for velocity, and seconds (s) for time.

3. How do I account for acceleration in "Jane & Jim's Race to the Drop"?

If there is acceleration involved in the problem, you will need to use the formula d = vt + 0.5at^2, where a is acceleration. This formula takes into account the change in velocity over time due to acceleration.

4. Can I use any other formulas besides d = vt in "Jane & Jim's Race to the Drop"?

Yes, there are other formulas that you may need to use depending on the given information in the problem. Some common formulas used in physics problems include F = ma (Newton's Second Law), KE = 0.5mv^2 (Kinetic Energy), and W = Fd (Work). It is important to carefully read and understand the problem to determine which formulas to use.

5. How can I check if my answers for "Jane & Jim's Race to the Drop" are correct?

You can check your answers by plugging them back into the given equations and making sure they satisfy all of the given conditions. You can also double check your calculations and make sure you used the correct units throughout the problem. If possible, try solving the problem using a different method to see if you get the same answer.