Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help in understanding effect size in fMRI

1. Dec 6, 2016 #1
    Hello everyone, I'm a student of a Master's degree in Neuroscience and I'm preparing a journal club presentation on an article called "Differential extrageniculostriate and amygdala responses to presentation of emotional faces in a cortically blind field". I'm struggling to understand some of the results, in particular what a negative effect size means in fMRI. Is there someone that can explain that to me? I'm referring in particular to this picture of the paper https://d1gqps90bl2jsp.cloudfront.net/content/brain/124/6/1241/F4.large.jpg?width=800&height=600&carousel=1 [Broken]the one attached).
    What can I say about the "unseen CS-"? Why is it so negative? Does it mean that the amygdala has a very low degree of activation?
    Thanks to anyone that can help me :)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2016 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

This appears to be something @DiracPool could help with. I'm confused with your explanation as well. fMRI mesures blood flow in the brain which indirectly shows which brain tissues are active. Interpretation is, IMO, sometimes a bit subjective. Each area seems to require the reader to be in the know how the ground rules are applied. My opinion only. In particular you have to have a solid grip on the particular known aspects of certain kinds of responses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted