Help in Understanding Hydrogen Fuel Cells?

In summary, the speaker is struggling to understand the mechanics of hydrogen fuel cells and is looking for more in-depth materials on the topic. They have found a helpful article on the subject but still need more information. Another person, who has experience in this area, offers to help and suggests searching for "how does a hydrogen fuel cell work" online.
roym6
I'm doing a presentation on Hydrogen Fuel Cells for my class, but I'm having a hard time understanding how exactly it is that they work. I'm only able to find information on fuel cells and they tend to not be descriptive on the hydrogen part. If someone could please link some articles that explain the topic and possibly try to explain how they work I would be very happy. Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Try googling "how does a hydrogen fuel cell work".

Minutes after posting that topic i found this

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/hydrogenandfuelcells/pdfs/fct_h2_fuelcell_factsheet.pdf

I found it pretty helpful if anybody is interested in the topic. However, I still need more in-depth material.

What don't you understand?

Can you be more specific about what it is you're looking for? I've been studying and building hydrogen fuel cells for my entire career as a graduate student and sometimes even I have a hard time understanding how they work.

1. What is a hydrogen fuel cell?

A hydrogen fuel cell is a device that converts the chemical energy of hydrogen into electricity through a chemical reaction with oxygen. It does not burn the hydrogen, but rather combines it with oxygen to produce water and electricity.

2. How does a hydrogen fuel cell work?

A hydrogen fuel cell works by separating the positively charged hydrogen ions and the negatively charged electrons. The hydrogen ions pass through an electrolyte membrane, while the electrons are forced through an external circuit, creating an electric current. The hydrogen ions then combine with oxygen on the other side of the membrane to produce water and heat.

3. What are the benefits of using hydrogen fuel cells?

Hydrogen fuel cells have several benefits, including being environmentally friendly as they only emit water as a byproduct. They are also highly efficient, with the potential to be twice as efficient as traditional combustion engines. Additionally, they can be refueled quickly and have a longer range than electric vehicles.

4. What are the challenges of using hydrogen fuel cells?

One of the main challenges of using hydrogen fuel cells is the high cost of producing and storing hydrogen. There is also a lack of infrastructure for refueling stations, making it difficult for widespread adoption of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles. Additionally, the production of hydrogen currently relies on fossil fuels, which detracts from its overall environmental benefits.

5. How are hydrogen fuel cells being used currently?

Hydrogen fuel cells are currently being used in a variety of applications, including powering vehicles, homes, and even entire cities. Many major car manufacturers have produced hydrogen fuel cell cars, though they are not yet widely available. They are also being used in stationary power systems, such as backup generators and microgrids, to provide clean and reliable electricity.