Fuel cell mass flow rate magnitudes

In summary, the conversation discusses the mass flow rate of hydrogen and oxygen per unit area of electrodes in fuel cells, as well as the mass flow rate of hydrogen and air per volume of fuel cell stack. The speaker is looking for publications or other sources that provide this information, but acknowledges that it may vary depending on the make, model, and power consumption of the fuel cells. They suggest starting with general information on fuel cell types and designs and then following links for more specific details.
antigen
Hello,

Can you tell me please the mass flow rate of hydrogen and oxygen per unit of area of electrodes in fuel cells? Or if you have information on the mass flow rate of hydrogen and air per volume of fuel cell stack?

I understand this may vary, but I am looking for publications or other sources that have such info, even if it is for specific fuel cells.

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Of course it would vary with the make and model, but especially with how much power is consumed. You'll need more specifications before that can be answered. But the best answers are likely to come from manufacturers.

Not all fuel cells are alike. For general information, I would start here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell#Types_of_fuel_cells;_design
Then I would follow the links in the reference section of that article for more details.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a fuel cell mass flow rate?

A fuel cell mass flow rate is the amount of fuel that is supplied to a fuel cell per unit time. It is typically measured in units of kilograms per second (kg/s) or pounds per hour (lb/hr).

2. How is the fuel cell mass flow rate calculated?

The fuel cell mass flow rate can be calculated by dividing the total mass of fuel that enters the fuel cell by the time it takes for that fuel to enter. This calculation can also take into account the density of the fuel, which can vary depending on the type of fuel being used.

3. What factors affect the fuel cell mass flow rate magnitude?

The fuel cell mass flow rate can be affected by a number of factors, including the design and size of the fuel cell, the type and quality of the fuel being used, and the operating conditions of the fuel cell, such as the temperature and pressure.

4. Why is the fuel cell mass flow rate important?

The fuel cell mass flow rate is important because it directly affects the performance and efficiency of the fuel cell. If the mass flow rate is too low, the fuel cell may not produce enough power, while if it is too high, it may not be able to properly utilize the fuel and could lead to waste or damage.

5. How can the fuel cell mass flow rate be controlled?

The fuel cell mass flow rate can be controlled by adjusting the flow rate of the fuel supply or by using a regulator or valve to regulate the flow. It can also be controlled indirectly by adjusting the temperature and pressure of the fuel cell, which can affect the rate at which the fuel is consumed.