Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen fuel cells in small applications

1. Sep 18, 2016 #1
    Hello internet!

Please excuse any silly questions as I am not (obviously) a professionally educated physicist (yet!).

I was doing a school project on alternative energy sources and became rather interested in hydrogen fuel cells, specifically to replace batteries in small scale, high energy requirement situations such as drones. I know that we can make them very small (see https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16370-worlds-smallest-fuel-cell-promises-greener-gadgets/) however these micro-cells run at very low voltages and currents. Is there any way of calculating/roughly working out how big a fuel cell has to be to produce a certain voltage and/or current? (of course the size of the hydrogen fuel tank would not be taken into consideration here. Assume that there is an external hydrogen supply.) Also does anybody know of a way to calculate how much energy you can get from a certain volume of hydrogen, or how long a certain volume would last if it were being used to make a constant electrical current of x amps at y volts?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

~100 A/m2.
    Google "hydrogen combustion energy."

4. Sep 18, 2016 #3
    Could you possibly add an explanation to go with that equation?
    I'm guessing it means approximately 100 Amps per m^2 of the surface area of the electrodes (according to this source: http://www.mpoweruk.com/hydrogen_fuel.htm).
    Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  5. Sep 18, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"power outputs are about 1 Watt /cm2" ... Looks like I gave you a "lowball" estimate for current output; 0.5 V x 20,000 A = 10 kW. My "bad." Based that on my experience with electropolishing (100 mA/cm2 max) and anodizing (10 mA/cm2 max).

6. Sep 24, 2016 #5
    The issue with fuel cells ( esp for a drone) is referred to as their BOP; or balance of plant. Basically all of the auxiliary equipment and systems needed to make it run well and reliably. For any high performance vehicle, and to me a Drone is that, Fuel Cells are not well suited where you want simple, effective and responsive power. For less dynamic loads - buses, fork trucks there have been some pretty good solutions with fuel cells. For fuel cells think low and slow - but the efficiency of conversion is very good.

For hydrogen fueled drones - combustion is the answer. It is very versatile fuel, high energy and can be used in Internal Combustion or Turbine set ups - and still minimal to zero environmental impact ( depending on how you source the H2)

Edit - BTW - and again my opinion, for a school project, detailing what you wanted to do ( Apply a fuel sell to a Drone) and why you learned and accepted that it is maybe not the best idea - and you decided to do "X" differently is a very good report strategy. In the real world I have seen more projects and careers sunk by people so "locked in" to their original ideal and plan - they could never accept, or admit, that their original premise was just wrong. - Humility leads to success and arrogance kills.

7. Sep 24, 2016 #6
    Hydrogen fuel cells output about 700mV per cell so you need a "stack" to produce higher voltages. In terms of current there's the internal resistance of the generator to consider and the plate area required to deliver a particular current. That's already been indicated.

In terms of multi-rotor drones they usually require pretty high burst currents which as already stated is not something fuel cells are particularly well suited for. It would be possible to combine a high drain Li-Ion battery with a fuel cell to provide the burst currents required. However weight is always a big consideration with aircraft and the higher weight of a fuel cell system compared to a battery may be somewhat impractical.

8. Oct 3, 2016 #7
    Sorry I didn't reply sooner but my internet has been down for almost two weeks! I followed Windadct's advice for using the hydrogen fuel for combustion instead and got full marks!

Thanks for all your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted