HELP Intersection of two lines (VECTORS)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the common point of two lines in vector notation. The lines are given as r=i+j+k+x(j-3k) and r=i+y(k-j). The conversation goes on to explain how to solve for the values of x and y in order to find the coordinates of the intersection point. The final answer is (1,2,-2).
apple53
HELP! Intersection of two lines (VECTORS)

Homework Statement

Find the common point of the lines r=i+j+k+x(j-3k) and r=i+y(k-j)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If the lines intersect then there are numbers x and y such that

i+j+k+x(j-3k)=i+y(k-j)

The two lines above does intersect at a point. But my question is how did they find that point!. I am guessing you must need to find x and y to find the point BUT HOW!

kinds regards

I will send the right answer after somebody attempts the above question which i need help on

Physics news on Phys.org

I think it could be helpful to see a way to solve if you put the lines in vectorial notation:
[itex] r: \left[\begin{array}{c}x\\y\\z\end{array}\right]=\left[\begin{array}{c}1\\1\\1\end{array}\right]+x\cdot\left[\begin{array}{c}0\\1\\-3\end{array}\right][/itex]
[itex]s: \left[\begin{array}{c}x\\y\\z\end{array}\right]=\left[\begin{array}{c}1\\0\\0\end{array}\right]+y\cdot\left[\begin{array}{c}0\\-1\\1\end{array}\right][/itex]

Now, it should be easy to find the intersection...

(Just check if I wrote correctly the vectors)

Last edited:

I can see what you mean. I wrote the vectorial notation below. Since we are writing it in this way we will have to change the x and y before parallel vector into other letter e.g. a and b. So i wrote the Vectorial notation as it should be below

r:⎡⎣xyz⎤⎦=⎡⎣111⎤⎦+a⋅⎡⎣01−3⎤⎦
r:⎡⎣xyz⎤⎦=⎡⎣100⎤⎦+b⋅⎡⎣0−11⎤⎦
This does help

From here i would write

x=1+a(0) (from this we get x=1)
x=1+b(0)

y=1+a(1)=1+a
y=0+b(-1)=-b

z=1+a(-3)=1-3a
z=0+b(1)=b

We need to find a or b to help find y and z. I have chosen to find a. I did simultaneous equations for both y to get 1-3a=-1-a. Which rearranges to give 1+1=3a-a which gives a=1

I put a in above equation to get y. e.g. y=1+1(1)=2

and put a in above equation to get z e.g. z=1-3(1)=-2

Which give me the coordinates (1,2,-2)

which is the correct answer

Thanks DiracRules

1. What is the intersection point of two lines represented by vectors?

The intersection point of two lines represented by vectors is the point where the two lines meet or cross each other. It is the common point on both lines and can be found by solving the equations of the two lines simultaneously.

2. How do you find the intersection point of two lines using vector notation?

To find the intersection point of two lines using vector notation, you can set up the equations of the two lines in vector form and solve them simultaneously. This can be done by finding the components of the vectors and equating them to each other. The resulting values will give the coordinates of the intersection point.

3. Can the intersection point of two lines represented by vectors be outside the given coordinate system?

Yes, it is possible for the intersection point of two lines represented by vectors to be outside the given coordinate system. This can occur when the two lines are parallel and do not intersect within the given coordinate system, or if the coordinate system is limited in range.

4. How many intersection points can two lines have when represented by vectors?

Two lines represented by vectors can have either one, infinite, or zero intersection points. One intersection point occurs when the two lines intersect at a single point, infinite intersection points occur when the two lines are coincident or overlapping, and zero intersection points occur when the two lines are parallel and do not intersect.

5. Is there a specific formula for finding the intersection point of two lines represented by vectors?

Yes, there is a formula for finding the intersection point of two lines represented by vectors. It involves setting up the equations of the two lines in vector form and solving them simultaneously using methods such as substitution or elimination. The resulting values will give the coordinates of the intersection point.