1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP Intersection of two lines (VECTORS)

1. Aug 8, 2011 #1
    HELP!!! Intersection of two lines (VECTORS)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the common point of the lines r=i+j+k+x(j-3k) and r=i+y(k-j)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If the lines intersect then there are numbers x and y such that

i+j+k+x(j-3k)=i+y(k-j)

The two lines above does intersect at a point. But my question is how did they find that point!!!!!!!!. Im guessing you must need to find x and y to find the point BUT HOW!!!!

kinds regards

I will send the right answer after somebody attempts the above question which i need help on

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2011 #2
    Re: HELP!!! Intersection of two lines (VECTORS)

I think it could be helpful to see a way to solve if you put the lines in vectorial notation:
    [itex] r: \left[\begin{array}{c}x\\y\\z\end{array}\right]=\left[\begin{array}{c}1\\1\\1\end{array}\right]+x\cdot\left[\begin{array}{c}0\\1\\-3\end{array}\right][/itex]
    [itex]s: \left[\begin{array}{c}x\\y\\z\end{array}\right]=\left[\begin{array}{c}1\\0\\0\end{array}\right]+y\cdot\left[\begin{array}{c}0\\-1\\1\end{array}\right][/itex]

Now, it should be easy to find the intersection...

(Just check if I wrote correctly the vectors)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  4. Aug 8, 2011 #3
    Re: HELP!!! Intersection of two lines (VECTORS)

I can see what you mean. I wrote the vectorial notation below. Since we are writing it in this way we will have to change the x and y before parallel vector into other letter e.g. a and b. So i wrote the Vectorial notation as it should be below

r:⎡⎣xyz⎤⎦=⎡⎣111⎤⎦+a⋅⎡⎣01−3⎤⎦
    r:⎡⎣xyz⎤⎦=⎡⎣100⎤⎦+b⋅⎡⎣0−11⎤⎦
    This does help

From here i would write

x=1+a(0) (from this we get x=1)
    x=1+b(0)

y=1+a(1)=1+a
    y=0+b(-1)=-b

z=1+a(-3)=1-3a
    z=0+b(1)=b

We need to find a or b to help find y and z. I have chosen to find a. I did simultaneous equations for both y to get 1-3a=-1-a. Which rearranges to give 1+1=3a-a which gives a=1

I put a in above equation to get y. e.g. y=1+1(1)=2

and put a in above equation to get z e.g. z=1-3(1)=-2

Which give me the coordinates (1,2,-2)

which is the correct answer

Thanks DiracRules

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook