Help me find experimental errors in my bottle rocket experiment, Hurry please?

In summary, the bottle rocket experiment had experimental errors that could have affected the results. The experiment was to measure the angle between the launching starting point and the apex of the trajectory of the bottle rocket, and the experimental error was huge but the researcher was able to make a rough but reasoned estimate.
lockieleonard
Could you please help me find experimental error in bottle rocket experiment that could have affected my results. The experiment is where a bottle gets filled with water, a third of their volume and then they get pressurized to fly in the air.

So could you please find me experimental errors for this experiment?
Hurry please I need them as soon as possible!

Thanx in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by experimental errors? Do you mean factors that could affect the flight that you haven't considered, or do you mean uncertainties in your measured and derived quantities?

What were you actually measuring.I am guessing the volume of water used,the number of pumping actions and the height reached.How did you display your results..did you plot a graph?

I mean factors that have affected my results!

lockieleonard said:
I mean factors that have affected my results!

What results? what measurements did you take?

I obtained the result when I measured the angle between the launching starting point and the apex of the trajectory of the bottle rocket. I was 30 metres away of the starting point whenmy friend started pumping to measure this angle.

I don't think you can get anything meaningful out of those measurements. You estimated the height of the apex as well as its horizontal distance from the origin, so those are out.

And you neglected the important things (Mass of water, pressure of air inside) not to mention those that are out of the scope of your analysis (Air resistance, turbulence, I suppose the rocket propulsion is fairly complicated as well, especially since it deals with pressure as well)

lockieleonard said:
I obtained the result when I measured the angle between the launching starting point and the apex of the trajectory of the bottle rocket. I was 30 metres away of the starting point whenmy friend started pumping to measure this angle.

If I understand this correctly your friend measured the angle.Knowing the method used you should be able to make a reasoned estimate of the uncertainty in his/her measurement e.g for one measurement the angle was 30 degrees plus or minus 5 degrees( or whatever it happened to be).It is best to express errrors as a percentage rounded down to the appropriate number of significant figures.
You measured the apex in other words the height reached?Wow how did you do that?I guess that whatever your method the experimental error was huge but you can at least do a reasoned but rough estimate.
It is so difficult to give advice here without the details of the measuring techniques you used but good luck with it,it sounds like a fun experiment.

RoyalCat said:
I don't think you can get anything meaningful out of those measurements. You estimated the height of the apex as well as its horizontal distance from the origin, so those are out.

And you neglected the important things (Mass of water, pressure of air inside) not to mention those that are out of the scope of your analysis (Air resistance, turbulence, I suppose the rocket propulsion is fairly complicated as well, especially since it deals with pressure as well)

I agree but he probably has to make some sort of estimates no matter how crude.

Dadface said:
I agree but he probably has to make some sort of estimates no matter how crude.

Yes, I did get the feeling I was a bit too harsh with my criticism, I apologize.

As far as possible estimates go, the question is what he was trying to measure...

1. What is the purpose of the bottle rocket experiment?

The purpose of the bottle rocket experiment is to demonstrate the principles of Newton's Third Law of Motion and to observe the effects of air pressure and water propulsion on the rocket's flight.

2. What are some common experimental errors that can occur in a bottle rocket experiment?

Some common experimental errors in a bottle rocket experiment include not securing the rocket tightly enough to the launch pad, using an uneven or unstable launch surface, and not filling the rocket with enough water or air.

3. How can I identify experimental errors in my bottle rocket experiment?

To identify experimental errors in your bottle rocket experiment, carefully review your experimental procedure and compare your results to your expected outcomes. You can also consult with other scientists or peers for their insights and observations.

4. What steps can I take to minimize experimental errors in my bottle rocket experiment?

To minimize experimental errors in your bottle rocket experiment, make sure to follow all instructions and guidelines carefully, conduct multiple trials, and record your data accurately. It is also important to use high-quality materials and equipment.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take during a bottle rocket experiment?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to take during a bottle rocket experiment. These include wearing safety goggles, keeping a safe distance from the rocket during launch, and using caution when handling and disposing of the rocket after the experiment.