Understanding Spin in Quantum Mechanics: What Does Measuring Along an Axis Mean?

• Thread starter Jomenvisst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head Spin
In summary, the spin angular momentum can take on two values, "spin up" and "spin down", depending on the value of the spin quantum number, ms. The eigenvalues of the SZ operator are ms\hbar, so these are the values the spin can take on when measured along the Z axis.
Jomenvisst
I'm currently taking a first course in quantum mechanics and we just recently introduced generalized angular momentum.

Now, take the special case of a spin-1/2 particle. If i understood this correctly there are two possibilities spin up: ms = 1/2 , and spin down ms = -1/2 , this comes from the fact that ms can take on the values +s,..-s where s is the spin quantum number.

The eigenvalues of the SZ operator are ms[itex]\hbar[/itex], so these are the values the spin can take on when measured along the Z axis. Now this is what confuses me, what is meant by measuring the spin "along the Z axis" or along any axis for that matter, is this some sort of projection of the spin on the Z axis?

What bothers me is i think of spin as some property of the particle, its either up or down, so what's with the measurement along some axis. Whats the purpose of this, can't we just say that its up or down and be done with it?

Hope i made some sense of what confuses me, lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Spin up" and "spin down" don't mean that the spin angular momentum is literally exactly along the +z or -z directions. They're just intended to convey the general orientation. For an electron, the magnitude of the spin angular momentum is

$$S = \sqrt{s(s+1)} \hbar =\sqrt{\frac{1}{2} \left( \frac{1}{2} +1 \right)} \hbar = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \hbar$$

and the projection of that magnitude along the z-direction is

$$S_z = \pm \frac{1}{2} \hbar$$

so the vector ##\vec S## is clearly at an angle with respect to the z-direction.

what is meant by measuring the spin "along the Z axis" or along any axis for that matter, is this some sort of projection of the spin on the Z axis?
Yes ...

In addition to jtbell;
The "z-axis" has to be determined by something - in the Stern-Gerlach experiment, it is determined by the apparatus ... in an atom, by the orbital angular momentum.

See also:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/qangm.html

Right, so that makes sense then. Thank you.

So the choice of expressing an arbitrary spinor as a linear combination of the projections of spin up and down on the Z axis is just by convention?

Now, this also confuses me a bit, say i want to express the projection of the spin down angular moment on the x-axis , | βX > as such a linear combination, how would i go about doing that?

Jomenvisst said:
So the choice of expressing an arbitrary spinor as a linear combination of the projections of spin up and down on the Z axis is just by convention?

Yes.

Jomenvisst said:
Now, this also confuses me a bit, say i want to express the projection of the spin down angular moment on the x-axis , | βX > as such a linear combination, how would i go about doing that?

First you need to write down the S_x operator. Then you need to find the eigenvectors of the S_x operator. You should find that there are two of them, and that they span the space of spin-1/2 spinors, so you can represent any spinor as a linear combination of these eigenvectors.

Ok, things seem a lot clearer now after this and after i did some exercises. Thanks alot.

In the basis { |[itex]\alpha[/itex] z > , | β z >} the matrix representation of S_x is:
Sx= ( [itex]\hbar[/itex] /2 ) σx. ( Pauli matrix)
Which has the eigenvalues +- ( [itex]\hbar[/itex] /2 ).
z> is the eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue -( [itex]\hbar[/itex] /2 ).
Using this we find |βx> = (1/√2)( |[itex]\alpha[/itex] z > - | β z > ).

Sound about right?

1. What is spin in scientific terms?

Spin is a quantum mechanical property of a particle that refers to its intrinsic angular momentum. In simpler terms, it is the "spinning" motion of a particle around its own axis.

2. How is spin related to magnetism?

Spin and magnetism are closely related because the spinning motion of particles creates a magnetic moment, or a tiny magnetic field. This allows particles with spin to interact with and be affected by external magnetic fields.

3. Can all particles have spin?

No, not all particles have spin. Only particles that have half-integer spin (1/2, 3/2, etc.) are considered fermions and have spin. Particles with integer spin (0, 1, 2, etc.) are called bosons and do not have spin.

4. What is the significance of spin in physics?

Spin is an important concept in physics because it helps explain the properties and behavior of particles. It also plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics and the study of subatomic particles.

5. How is spin measured and observed?

Spin cannot be directly measured or observed, but its effects can be seen through experiments and observations of particles. Scientists use sophisticated equipment such as particle accelerators and detectors to study and measure the spin of particles.