Simplifying Expressions: Understanding Solutions and Common Factors

• Thread starter Bardagath
  • Start date
In summary, when simplifying polynomial fractions, you can use long division or factoring to find the "whole" multiple and the remainder, just like with ordinary fractions. Then, you can rewrite the fraction as the whole multiple plus the remainder over the denominator.
Bardagath
It is a case of simplifying this expression:

a^2 - ab / ab

The solution given in a textbook is:

a - b / b

I observe that for the one "a" that was canceled below, two "a's" were canceled above in this simplification.

Why would the solution not be: a^2 - b / b? I would like to know what happened to the a in a^2 if the textbook answer is the correct answer.

I am also having problems simplifying this expression: 3y^2 - 27 / 12y^2 + 36y
I have tried factorizing to find common factors that cancel each other out but have not had any success... I know what the solution is but I would like to know how to get there.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
No, only one a was canceled in both numerator and denominator. Remember that you can only cancel things that are multiplied. You are thinking
"Okay, I will cancel the last a in a2- ab with the a in the denominator and get (a2-b)/b."

but you can't do that: the second a is not a factor. What you need to do is first factor a2- ab= a(a- b). NOW you can cancel:
[tex]\frac{a^2- ab}{ab}= \frac{a(a-b)}{ab}= \frac{a- b}{b}[/tex]
where you have canceled the a multiplying (a- b) in the numerator with the a multiplying b in the denominator.

Welcome to PF!

Bardagath said:
(a^2 - ab )/b

Hi Bardagath! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I suspect you're having vision problems … you can't take in the whole top line in one go.

Just split it into two fractions, then factor it …

(a^2)/b - ab/b = … ? :smile:
I am also having problems simplifying this expression: (3y^2 - 27)/(12y^2 + 36y)
I have tried factorizing to find common factors that cancel each other out but have not had any success... I know what the solution is but I would like to know how to get there.

With ordinary fractions (just numbers), if asked to simplify 21/4, you might say [tex]5\frac{1}{4}\,.[/tex]

5 is the "whole" multiple, and 1 is the remainder.

With polynomial fractions, you do the same … for example, (3x + 11)/(x + 2) = 3 + 5/(x + 2).

3 is the "whole" multiple, and 5 is the remainder.

The remainder can be a number, as 5 above, or it can be a polynomial (of lesser degree than the denominator. of course!) :smile:

1. What exactly do you mean by "help me understand this"?

When someone says "help me understand this", they are asking for clarification or further explanation about a specific topic or concept. It is often used when someone is struggling to grasp a difficult or complex idea.

2. How can I better understand a complicated scientific concept?

The best way to understand a complex scientific concept is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by researching the basics of the concept and then gradually delve into more advanced information. It can also be helpful to seek out visual aids or real-world examples to aid in understanding.

3. Is there a specific method or process for understanding scientific concepts?

There is no one-size-fits-all method for understanding scientific concepts. However, some common strategies include reading, researching, practicing, and discussing with others. It may also be helpful to approach the concept from different angles and use critical thinking skills to connect the pieces together.

4. How do I know if I truly understand a scientific concept?

One way to gauge your understanding of a scientific concept is to explain it in your own words or teach it to someone else. If you can confidently explain the concept and answer questions about it, then you likely have a good grasp on it. Additionally, being able to apply the concept to different scenarios or problems is a good indicator of understanding.

5. What should I do if I still don't understand a scientific concept after trying different methods?

If you are still struggling to understand a scientific concept, it may be helpful to seek out additional resources or ask for help from a teacher or expert in the field. It is also important to be patient and persistent in your efforts to understand, as some concepts may take more time and effort to grasp than others.