How to Effectively Showcase Personality Traits on Waterloo Engineering's AIF?

• Thread starter AFG34
  • Start date
In summary, the admission information form for engineering asks applicants to discuss their personality traits and how they relate to their extracurricular and curricular activities. The form suggests that engineers can contribute in various ways, whether it be through entrepreneurship, creativity, or leadership. It also mentions the importance of being a strong team player. When filling out this form, it is important to showcase your leadership roles and qualities, as it is highly valued in the engineering field. While there is no specific answer for what the admission office is looking for, it is recommended to provide thoughtful and detailed responses. The AIF can positively impact your admission average, but it will not negatively affect your chances of admission.
AFG34
I have to fill out an admission informations form.

One of the questions:
3. Personality Traits
Engineering is a profession to which individuals can contribute in various ways. Some engineers are entrepreneurial; some are very creative and original; while others are more conservative and methodical in their work. Similarly, some engineers are strong leaders with management skills, while others contribute as strong team players in a supportive role. Discuss your particular personality traits, with reference to the activities summarized in sections 1
and 2. [limit 300 words]

section 1 is basically about my activities (extracurricular and curricular).

I don't really know what to write. Does anyone know what the admission office is looking for or have any tips or guidance?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"I am a very fastidious individual and I don't like to get the wrong answer - while I was writing this synopsis of my personality I consulted www.physicsforums.com to see what other people thought would be an appropriate response for this form."

lol...

Talk about any leadership roles you've taken, or leadership qualities, its a very important trait in engineering to take lead on new idea and creativity.

I can't tell you exactly what they're looking for, when I filled out this form I was lazy and answered with one liners because thought I would be choosing to go to Mcmaster. I changed my mind however and luckily I was still accepted despite appearing to be a big flake on these forms, hah.

AFAIK the AIF can only help your admission average, so they won't deduct marks based on the AIF though I believe you can get up to 5% added based on your AIF.

1. What is an AIF for Waterloo Engineering?

An AIF, or Admission Information Form, is a document required by the University of Waterloo for all applicants to the Faculty of Engineering. It includes personal information, academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and a short essay.

2. How do I fill out the AIF?

You can fill out the AIF online through the University of Waterloo's website. You will need your Waterloo ID number and OUAC reference number to access the form. It is important to fill out all sections accurately and provide detailed information.

3. What information should I include in the extracurricular activities section?

In the extracurricular activities section of the AIF, you should include any clubs, sports teams, volunteer work, or leadership roles you have been involved in. Be sure to provide a brief description of your involvement, the duration of your participation, and any accomplishments or skills you gained.

4. Is the AIF mandatory for all Waterloo Engineering applicants?

Yes, the AIF is mandatory for all applicants to the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Waterloo. It is an important part of the admissions process and provides the admissions committee with a better understanding of each applicant's strengths and interests.

5. When is the deadline to submit the AIF?

The deadline to submit the AIF for Waterloo Engineering is typically in late January or early February. The exact deadline will be stated in your offer of admission. It is important to submit the AIF before the deadline to be considered for admission to the program.