Help needed in MATLAB , Please ( Simple question )

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter Serena_hm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, The conversation is about someone asking for help on writing an imaginary value in a MATLAB program and being advised to use either "i" or "j" as long as they have not been redefined, or to define "i" as sqrt(-1) first.
Serena_hm
hello everybody !

I'm working on a simple MATLAB program & I got stuck with something so I'll appreciate it if anyone can help

how can I write an imaginary value in a MATLAB program as input , for example, impedance Z = 100+10i

Physics news on Phys.org
Serena_hm said:
hello everybody !

I'm working on a simple MATLAB program & I got stuck with something so I'll appreciate it if anyone can help

how can I write an imaginary value in a MATLAB program as input , for example, impedance Z = 100+10i

I'm pretty sure you can do it exactly as you've just typed.

Also, as long as variables "i" and "j" have not been redefined by your program, then use either:

Z = 100 + 10*i

or

Z = 100 + 10*j

If you're not sure about "i" being redefined you can always do "i = sqrt(-1)" first.

Last edited:

1. What is MATLAB?

MATLAB is a high-level programming language and interactive environment commonly used in scientific and engineering applications. It allows for easy manipulation and analysis of data, as well as the creation of complex algorithms and visualizations.

2. How can I get help with MATLAB?

There are many resources available for getting help with MATLAB. You can find documentation, tutorials, and examples on the official MATLAB website. Additionally, there are online forums and communities where you can ask for help from experienced users.

3. What are the basic features of MATLAB?

Some of the basic features of MATLAB include its ability to handle large amounts of data, its built-in functions for mathematical and statistical calculations, its graphics capabilities for creating visualizations, and its compatibility with other programming languages.

4. Can I use MATLAB for data analysis?

Yes, MATLAB is commonly used for data analysis due to its powerful computational and visualization capabilities. It also has a variety of built-in functions for manipulating and analyzing data, making it a popular choice for researchers and scientists.

5. Is MATLAB difficult to learn?

It depends on your background and experience with programming. For those who are new to programming, MATLAB may have a steeper learning curve. However, with practice and familiarity, it can become a powerful tool for data analysis and scientific research.