1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed in solving an IVP D.E. over 2 intervals

1. Dec 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

y" +4y = g(x) ; y (0) = 1 & y(0) = 2

g(x) =
    sinx , 0 [tex]\leq[/tex]x [tex]\leq[/tex] pi/2
    0 , x [tex]\succ[/tex] pi/2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1> g(x) = sin x

solving i get :
    yc = ec1sin2x + ec2cos2x

US set of sin x = {sinx, cosx} so yp = Asinx + Bcosx

solving i get:
    yp = (1/3)sinx

so
    y = ec1sin2x + ec2cos2x + (1/3)sinx ...(1)

for the conditions given i get:

c1 = 5/6e & ec2 = 1/e

thus (1) becomes:
    y = (5/6)sin2x + cos2x + (1/3)sinx .... (2) for x between 0 & pi/2

2> for g(x) = 0 with x greater than pi/2

we have : y" + 4y = 0
    with m1 = 2i & m2 = -2i

y = ec1sin2x +ec2cos2x ....(3)

solving for the conditions giver we get:

c1 = 1/ e = c2 thus
    y = sin 2x + cos 2x ..... (4)

from here on i can;t figure how to continue to find a solution / y & y' are continuous @ x = pi/2

i need help plz.

note that the exercise is long enough to post all the details of the attempt of solution. i hope u reply. thx

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi bobmerhebi! :smile:

(have a ≤ and a ≥ and a π :wink:)

(and why are you using the difficult-to-read-and-type c1 and c2 instead of the usual A and B? :rolleyes:)

(and what is e?)

Very good …

now just find y(π/2) and y'(π/2), and use those as your new initial conditions. :smile:

4. Dec 14, 2008 #3
    ur right about c1 & c2 but i got used to use them for the homog. solution & A & B... for the particulat sol.'s

after calculating for [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 for both y & y' with x btw 0 & [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 i get:

y([tex]\pi[/tex]/2) = -2/3 &
    y'([tex]\pi[/tex]/2) = -1 . but now what?

im asked to find a solution so that y & y' are continuous @ [tex]\pi[/tex]/2.

5. Dec 14, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi bobmerhebi! :smile:

(what happened to that π i gave you? :rolleyes:)

Isn't y'(π/2)-= -5/3?

Anyway, just solve the particular solution all over again, with y(π/2) and y'(π/2) as your new boundary conditions. :smile:

6. Dec 14, 2008 #5
    sorry but i still dont get it.

lets go all over again.
    1st u asked what is e. its the exponential. why ? is there anything wrong with it?

2nd: u told me to take a = [tex]\pi[/tex], less than & grater than [tex]\pi[/tex]. why is that? & what do u mean by a?

then u said to use y([tex]\pi[/tex]/2) & y'([tex]\pi[/tex]/2). but which y? the one with g(x) = sin x or 0?

as for the y'([tex]\pi[/tex]/2). if its y' of y with x btw 0 & [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 then y'([tex]\pi[/tex]) = (5/6)cos[tex]\pi[/tex] -2sin[tex]\pi[/tex] +(1/3)sin[tex]\pi[/tex]/2 = -4/3

finally ur saying to solve y_p again for those values. how is that if i already have the coefficients?

thx

7. Dec 14, 2008 #6
    sorry but i still dont get it.

lets go all over again.
    1st u asked what is e. its the exponential. why ? is there anything wrong with it?

2nd: u told me to take a = [tex]\pi[/tex], less than & grater than [tex]\pi[/tex]. why is that? & what do u mean by a?

then u said to use y([tex]\pi[/tex]/2) & y'([tex]\pi[/tex]/2). but which y? the one with g(x) = sin x or 0?

as for the y'([tex]\pi[/tex]/2). if its y' of y with x btw 0 & [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 then y'([tex]\pi[/tex]) = (5/6)cos[tex]\pi[/tex] -2sin[tex]\pi[/tex] +(1/3)sin[tex]\pi[/tex]/2 = -4/3

finally ur saying to solve y_p again for those values. how is that if i already have the coefficients?

thx

8. Dec 14, 2008 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes! Why is it there? It's multiplied by an arbitrary constant anyway, so ec1 or ec2 is just the same as c1 or c2.

erm … look at the signature at the bottom of this post! :biggrin:

ah, but isn't it (1/3)cosπ/2?
    g(x) = 0, because that's for the interval you'll be dealing with. :smile:

9. Dec 14, 2008 #8
    y = (5/6)sin2x + cos2x + (1/3)sinx .... (2) with 0 ≤ x ≤ π/2

y = sin 2x + cos 2x ..... (4) with x (just greater than not or equal) π/2

& y(π/2) = -2/3 & y'(π/2) = -5/3

then i should use these new initial conditions with (4). for what? i have y = sin 2x + cos 2x ..... (4)

sorry, it might be so simple but im tired & i have a culture exam 2moro & a 25 page assignment that;s still unfinished. so excuse.

10. Dec 14, 2008 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry … I'm not seeing where the problem is …

you worked out the ≤ π/2 section fine :smile:

just go through the same procedure for the ≥ π/2 section …

by definition, they'll fit together continuously. :wink:

Get some sleep now :zzz: and try it again in the morning :smile:

11. Dec 14, 2008 #10
    thx i will retry it late this night. unfortunately i have to submit my assignment 2moro morning. but never mind. thx for ur sincere help

12. Dec 14, 2008 #11
    thx i will retry it late this night. unfortunately i have to submit my assignment 2moro morning. but never mind. thx for ur sincere help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?