Help needed to convert angular velocity to angular acceleration

In summary: If w=5 rad/s, the angular velocity is about 5 rad/s.In summary, if you want to calculate angular acceleration, you need to know the angular velocity and how it's changing.
sherazi21st
hi,

I've calculated
ω=5 rad/s

How can I calculate angular acceleration (α)
I've Mass, M=4Kg
Radius, R = 2m
and time taken by each single revolution, T=3sec.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you forgot to tell us something, the angular acceleration is zero!

I've only this data, what is missing?

sherazi21st said:
I've only this data, what is missing?
How the angular velocity is changing.

Are you sure you want angular acceleration, not centripetal acceleration?

I had also the same point but I got this data only. I thought there may be any method to convert this by either convert this ang. vel. to tang. vel. by rw and then it might be converted into angular acc. by using definition of centripetal acc. or something else if I'm not wrong.

sherazi21st said:
I had also the same point but I got this data only. I thought there may be any method to convert this by either convert this ang. vel. to tang. vel. by rw and then it might be converted into angular acc. by using definition of centripetal acc. or something else if I'm not wrong.
Angular acceleration is related to tangential acceleration, not centripetal acceleration. But all you gave us is an angular velocity.

You need to describe what you are being asked to find in more detail. What did you measure? What physics topic are you studying now?

Doc Al said:
How the angular velocity is changing.

Are you sure you want angular acceleration, not centripetal acceleration?

Can you tell me how will we calculate Centripetal acceleration? Just by converting w into v and then putting v in v^2/r. Am I correct?

Doc Al said:
Angular acceleration is related to tangential acceleration, not centripetal acceleration. But all you gave us is an angular velocity.

You need to describe what you are being asked to find in more detail. What did you measure? What physics topic are you studying now?

Dear, I'm studying Angular acceleration and angular velocity. I am given only radius of the horizontal circle in which a mass m is moving and completes one revolution in t seconds. I guess there is fault in the question.

sherazi21st said:
Can you tell me how will we calculate Centripetal acceleration? Just by converting w into v and then putting v in v^2/r. Am I correct?
Sure. You can also use this equivalent expression and save yourself the conversion: ac = ω2r

sherazi21st said:
I am given only radius of the horizontal circle in which a mass m is moving and completes one revolution in t seconds.
Is it moving with constant speed, or does it start from rest (for instance)?

Doc Al said:
Is it moving with constant speed, or does it start from rest (for instance)?

constant w

sherazi21st said:
constant w
In that case, the angular acceleration is zero, as pointed out by russ_watters earlier.

sherazi21st said:
hi,

I've calculated
ω=5 rad/s

How can I calculate angular acceleration (α)
I've Mass, M=4Kg
Radius, R = 2m
and time taken by each single revolution, T=3sec.

It's either T =3s OR w=5 rad/s.
You cannot have both for the same motion, with constant angular speed.

If T=3s, the angular velocity is about 2 rad/s.

1. What is the formula for converting angular velocity to angular acceleration?

The formula for converting angular velocity to angular acceleration is angular acceleration = change in angular velocity / change in time. This can also be written as α = ωf - ωi / tf - ti, where α represents angular acceleration, ωf and ωi represent final and initial angular velocities, and tf and ti represent final and initial times.

2. How is angular velocity measured?

Angular velocity is measured in radians per second (rad/s). This unit represents the change in angle per unit of time. Another unit commonly used is revolutions per minute (rpm), which represents the number of full rotations per minute.

3. Can angular velocity be negative?

Yes, angular velocity can have a negative value. This indicates that the rotation is happening in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, if the positive direction is clockwise and the angular velocity is -5 rad/s, then the rotation is happening counterclockwise at a rate of 5 radians per second.

4. How can angular velocity and angular acceleration be calculated from linear velocity and acceleration?

To calculate angular velocity from linear velocity, you can use the formula angular velocity = linear velocity / radius. Similarly, angular acceleration can be calculated from linear acceleration using the formula angular acceleration = linear acceleration / radius. The radius refers to the distance from the axis of rotation to the point at which the linear velocity or acceleration is measured.

5. What is the relationship between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

The relationship between angular velocity and angular acceleration can be described by the formula ωf = ωi + αt, where ωf and ωi represent final and initial angular velocities, and α represents angular acceleration. This formula shows that the change in angular velocity (ωf - ωi) is directly proportional to the angular acceleration (α) and the time (t) during which the acceleration occurs.