1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help negate this statement

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Give a useful negation for:

[itex]\forall x > 0, \exists y > 0 s.t. y^2 = x[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to do this, I have

[itex]\exists y > 0 s.t. \forall x > 0, y^2 = x[/itex]

Which says "there exists a y that for all x, y^2 = x"....which is obviously incorrect, as there is no y that when squared equals EVERYTHING.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2
    How about, "there exists an x greater than zero such that for all y greater than zero, y squared is not equal to x"

4. Aug 31, 2011 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you were looking for an example to counter this (a counter example), what would need to be true for that example ? ... and, wouldn't it take just one example (at least as regards x)?

5. Aug 31, 2011 #4
    What do you mean counter it? I can't counter the first statement, it's true.

6. Aug 31, 2011 #5
    This supports my suggestion.

7. Aug 31, 2011 #6
    A negation of "for all x, this is true" is "there exists an x such that this is not true." You say "there exists an x such that for all (for any arbitrary) y this is not true" because it has to be not true for all y. if it's only not true for some y, then there exists a y such that it is true, and you've lost it.

8. Aug 31, 2011 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well yes, it is true for x & y being real numbers. That doesn't mean that you can't coming up with criteria that would need to hold for a counter-example, if such existed.

9. Aug 31, 2011 #8
    Okay, I get it! So what you're saying, is that if there WERE a counter example, it would satisfy Arcana's negation statement, correct?

10. Aug 31, 2011 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's what I'm saying if indeed, Arcana's negation statement is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook