Is Quantum Mechanics Understandable for a Ninth Grader?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of quantum mechanics and the confusion surrounding it, specifically for a grade nine student. The book "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene was mentioned as a source of interest, but the person was struggling to understand the concepts. The difference between quantum mechanics and quantum physics was discussed, along with the meaning of "quantum" and how quantum mechanics works. The conversation also touched on the difficulty of understanding the theory without knowledge of the calculations and the recommendation to seek information online. The conversation ended with a quote from Richard Feynman and a clarification that immaturity does not equate to an inability to comprehend, but rather a lack of experience and understanding.
jswu1996
Hello,

While other's on this site are probably considerably older than myself, as I am only a grade nine student, I came across a book about special and general relativity, quantum mechanics and string theory. The book is "The elegant universe" by Brian Greene. Anyways, I was very interested and a friend of mine and I had many conversations about the topics, but I was not understanding many things; quantum mechanics. For starters, what is the difference between quantum mechanics and quantum physics? What does "quantum" even mean? And eventually, how does quantum mechanics work? What does it state? What does it prove? I get so confused. Is it because of my age? Or can I only understand the theory when I begin to learn the calculations of the theory and not just the general idea of it?

Please help,

James

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Physics and Quantum Theory are different names for a single underlying theory obeys these criteria:

Postulate 1: State of a system A system is completely specified at anyone time by a Hilbert space vector.
Postulate 2: Observables of a system A measurable quantity corresponds to an operator with eigenvectors spanning the space.
Postulate 3: Observation of a system Measuring a system applies the observable's operator to the system and the system collapses into the observed eigenvector.
Postulate 4: Probabilistic result of measurement The probability of observing an eigenvector is derived from the square of its wavefunction.
Postulate 5: Time evolution of a system The way the wavefunction evolves over time is determined by Shrodinger's equation.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_elementary_physics_formulae)

I wouldn't expect you to understand what any of these definitions mean which is in direct correlation to your immature knowledge.

I'm not sure if the book would an excellent investment since you most likely haven't had a formal Physics class. There is much information that can be used to understand these concepts online : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_quantum_mechanics

Quantum means discrete or extremely small quantity. It's fine if you don't understand it especially if your in grade 9. In the words of Richard Feynman "I can safely say that nobody understands Quantum Mechanics."

Last edited:
whoa, was that an insult?

anyways, i think the book is pretty good

and thank you for the website and definitions

No, it wasn't an insult, people usually interpret immature as an inability to comprehend or fully understand, what it really means is you're knowledge comprehension of the world hasn't "ripened" enough to understand the implications. It stands the same for everyone person of your age and even mine.

I see...

Thank you for the websites anyways

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains how particles behave and interact with each other on a microscopic scale.

2. Why is Quantum Mechanics important?

Quantum Mechanics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of matter and energy. It also plays a crucial role in modern technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computers.

3. What are some applications of Quantum Mechanics?

Some applications of Quantum Mechanics include quantum computing, cryptography, and quantum teleportation. It is also used in fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science.

4. What are the basic principles of Quantum Mechanics?

The basic principles of Quantum Mechanics include superposition, uncertainty principle, and wave-particle duality. Superposition states that a particle can exist in multiple states at the same time, uncertainty principle states that we cannot know both the position and velocity of a particle with absolute certainty, and wave-particle duality states that particles can behave as both waves and particles.

5. How can I learn more about Quantum Mechanics?

There are many resources available to learn more about Quantum Mechanics, including textbooks, online courses, and lectures. It is also important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics to fully understand the concepts of Quantum Mechanics.