Help on Senior Elective for Mechanical Engineering

In summary, Group 1 includes classes that are more in demand for most Mechanical Engineers wanting to work in the working world. Group 2 includes classes that may be more interesting to you, but it is important to consider what you want to do with your career and which classes will help you achieve that.
Sirpunj
Group 1:

ME 422 ---- Introduction to Combustion
ME 423 ---- Intermediate Mechanics of Deformable solids
ME 425 ---- Experimental Mechanics
ME 426 ---- Introduction to Composite Materials
ME 432 ---- Intermediate Fluid Mechanics
ME 440 ---- Aerospace Engineering Fundamentals
ME 444 ---- Automotive Engines
ME 457 ---- Mechatronic System Modeling and Simulation
ME 464 ---- Intermediate Dynamics
ME 465 ---- Computer Aided Optimal Design
ME 477 ---- Manufacturing Processes
ME 478 ---- Product Development
ME 494 ---- Biofluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer
ME 495 ---- Tissue Mechanics
ME 497 ---- Biomechanical Design

Group 2:

ME 416 ---- Computer Assisted Design of Thermal Systems
ME 417 ---- Design of Alternative Energy Systems
ME 422 ---- Turbomachinery
ME 445 ---- Automotive Powertrain Design
ME 456 ---- Mechatronic System Design
ME 475 ---- Computer Adied Design of Structures

Im a Junior at Michigan State University and these are the senior elective that are offered at MSU for Mechanical Engineering. I was hoping to get some advice on which classes I should take because I want to take classes that will help me to get a good job and which are more required by most jobs, as in which ones are more in demand for the working world. My ideal field to work would be at Boeing, GE, or any other major company. I just want to take classes that will benefit me at my job the most. I have to select 4 classes from Group 1 and 2 classes from Group 2. Basically, I want to take that classes that will land me a good job with a good income, say like $ 70K or so, because I know these classes deal with programs that are used by many mechanical engineers in the working world.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to think about what you are interested in doing for your career, what you think you can sell yourself to a potential employer as capable and interested in doing. If you have no interest whatsoever in thermal systems, then don't do ME 416. If you think that thermal energy systems are the thing for you, then ME 416 should probably be in your list.

Nobody can tell you what to take. You have to decide who you are and what you are interested in doing. Nobody is going to hire you to do a job that you cannot project a real sincere interest in. So think hard-- this is serious. Its time to grow up and decide what you want to be when you grow up.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that one has to consider their interests before they decide which classes to take when they are a senior. However, my problem is that I want to know which classes offer subjects that are more in demand for an ideal Mechanical Engineer who wants to work for Boeing. All of the classes listed above interest me and I am willing to put in the effort in each and everyone of them but I can't because that will take additional 2-3 years, I just don't know which ones will benefit me more in the long run.

Well its all relative isn't it, Boeing (or any massive company) has research and design in many many areas. There is no 'best' thing to take.

When making module decisions never concern yourself about what someone else would want of you above what you feel is best for you. Its a slippery slope to landing a job you think you want but actually hate.

Although you say that you like them all there have to be some that grip you better than others. Even if its only marginally.

The other tip if you are allowed to do it at your uni is just put what you think may possibly be best, then go to all the lectures in the first week or fortnight to get a feel for it, then just change modules. Thats what I ended up doing will all my modules in 3rd and 4th years.

1. What is a senior elective for mechanical engineering?

A senior elective for mechanical engineering is a course that is chosen by a student in their final year of a mechanical engineering program. These electives typically focus on a specific area of mechanical engineering and allow students to gain more in-depth knowledge and skills in that particular field.

2. How do I choose the right senior elective for my interests?

Choosing the right senior elective for your interests can be a challenging task. It is important to consider your career goals and interests when making this decision. Research the different elective options available and talk to your academic advisor or other students to get their insights. You can also attend informational sessions or workshops to learn more about the electives and talk to professors who teach these courses.

3. Are there any prerequisites for senior electives in mechanical engineering?

Yes, there may be prerequisites for certain senior electives in mechanical engineering. These prerequisites are typically lower-level courses that provide the necessary knowledge and skills for the elective course. It is important to check the course requirements before enrolling in a senior elective to ensure you have completed any necessary prerequisites.

4. Can I take a senior elective outside of my designated track in mechanical engineering?

It depends on your academic institution and program requirements. Some institutions may allow students to take senior electives outside of their designated track, while others may have strict guidelines for course selection. It is best to check with your academic advisor or the department to see if this is a possibility.

5. What are the benefits of taking a senior elective in mechanical engineering?

Senior electives in mechanical engineering offer several benefits, such as gaining specialized knowledge and skills, exploring a specific area of interest, and making connections with peers and professors. These electives can also make you more competitive in the job market and prepare you for further studies or research in a particular field of mechanical engineering.