Understanding Statistical Significance: Explaining the 0.05 Level

• Thread starter jlo2006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of "statistically significant at the 0.05 level" and whether a student's explanation of this concept is correct. It is clarified that this refers to the probability of rejecting a true null hypothesis, and not the probability of the null hypothesis itself. The conversation also touches on the role of knowledge in determining probabilities and the probability of a type I error. It is questioned whether this conversation is related to homework, and if so, why it was posted in a homework help forum.
jlo2006
Heres the problem:

When asked to explain the meaning of "statistically significant at the 0.05 level," a student says, "This means there is only probability 0.05 that the null hypothesis is true." Is this an essentially correct explanation of statistical significance? Explain.

Help please. Appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
More specifically, it is the probability that you reject a true null hypothesis.

The difference in the statements is subtle.

The probability of the null hypothesis being true may be 20%, 50%, etc. -- but the probability of rejecting it is .05.

Well, you can't say anything about the probability of the null hypothesis being 20% or 50% right off the bat because probability is based on the amount of knowledge you have. For one person the probability of the null hypothesis being true might be 20% and for another person with more knowledge the probability of the same hypothesis being true might be 1.

But if the probability of a type I error is the probability that the null hypothesis is true and you reject it, then let A = the null hypothesis is true and let B = you reject the null hypothesis.
Then P(A n B) is the probability of a type I error, and P(A n B) = .05
But you know that P(B) = 1 since the test was significant. So P(A n B) = P(A) = .05 and the probability that the null hypothesis is true is .05.

Is this homework? If it is, it is not supposed to have been posted here. If it is not HW, why did you post it under HW help?

1. What are some common statistical methods used to solve problems?

Some common statistical methods used to solve problems include hypothesis testing, regression analysis, chi-square analysis, and analysis of variance (ANOVA).

2. How do I know which statistical test to use?

The choice of statistical test depends on the type of data you have and the research question you are trying to answer. Consult with a statistician or refer to statistical textbooks or online resources for guidance.

3. Can I use statistical software to solve my problem?

Yes, there are many statistical software programs available that can assist in solving statistical problems. Some popular options include SPSS, SAS, R, and Excel.

4. How do I interpret the results of my statistical analysis?

The interpretation of statistical results depends on the specific test used and the context of the problem. Generally, you will need to compare your results to a critical value or p-value to determine if there is a significant difference or relationship between the variables studied.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using statistics?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using statistics include using small sample sizes, misinterpreting correlation as causation, and using statistical tests without a clear research question. It is also important to properly label and explain your data and results to avoid misleading conclusions.