Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on this zero-volt triggered(switched) circuit

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1

This is my first post. I am a novice in electronics and would appreciate your expert help.

I am trying to make a circuit that reverses output polarity whenever 0v from the input side is encountered.

The input voltage, which will drive the output device but also acts as a trigger voltage, will be a positive DC and this DC voltage will flutuate in between +50v(peak) and 0v. And my goal is to have this fluctuating DC voltage to "trigger" the reversal of polarity to the output device.

This reversal should occur whenever the input voltage falls down to zero (or very near zero) and the reversal will be continuosly alternating i.e. if the current output polarity is positive-negative then the next time 0v is encountered, will become negative-positive and the next time, positive-negative and the next time negative-positive and so on. And snubber circuit may not be necessary since the voltage at the time of polarity reversal will be zero(or near zero).

What simple IC or circuit or relay or triac or other devices this novice is ignorant of will do this? (The max wattage this circuit should handle is about 400w. RMS will be about 200w)

I would so much appreciate if you could help me building this inexpensive but reliable circuit.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

Perhaps you could tell up just what your power supply is, what you are trying to run with it and just what it is that this circuit is supposed to do.

Depending on just what it is that you are trying to accomplish, you might be able to use a Schmitt trigger IC, an Op-amp or a transistor for zero detection.

I have no idea where you going with the positive-negative/negative-positive thing.

In general we won't design a circuit for you, but we may be able to tell you something about what you need to know to do what you want.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?