Clipper circuit: Sign of output voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses a clipper circuit and the behavior of its output waveform. The output and input voltages are equal in magnitude, but there is confusion about their polarity. The individual discussing the topic believes that the output and input must have opposite polarity for the sum of voltages around the loop to be zero. They also mention the importance of understanding both DC and AC circuits in electronics. The conversation concludes by discussing Kirchoff's Law and how it applies to the clipper circuit.
iampaul
I have attached the image of the clipper circuit below.
When Vin is positive the diode is reverse biased and the output and input are at the same loop. When Vin is negative the diode is forward biased and Vo=0.
My problem is finding the sign of the output, although I know that Vo and Vin are numerically equal. The output waveform of this clipper circuit shows that Vo= Vin. My question is why. If we consider the loop containing Vo and Vin, they must be of opposite polarity so that the sum of the voltages around the loop is zero. If they are equal then the sum of all voltages around the loop is not zero. i have failed an exam just because of this.The waveform i get is the exact opposite of the real one because i think that Vo=-Vin.
We are being taught basic electronics and dc circuits at the same time, and i think dc and ac circuits must be a prerequisite of this electronics course. Is this ok.

Attachments

• circuit.bmp
    271.4 KB · Views: 514
Engineering news on Phys.org
A wire cannot have more than one voltage on it at the same time.

So, the input voltage and polarity in the diagram have to be the same.

Viewed in parallel like this, they do have the same voltage and polarity (although this may spell trouble for the diode) but if you move around the circle formed by the input voltage and the diode, then you have a source voltage and opposing it you have a voltage across a diode. This gives no net voltage around the circle.

Kirchoff's Law is safe. It would still be safe if you added a resistor in series with the diode.

1. What is a clipper circuit and how does it work?

A clipper circuit is an electronic circuit that removes or clips a portion of the input signal. It works by using diodes to limit the output voltage to a certain level. When the input voltage exceeds the threshold set by the diode, the diode conducts and clips the voltage, resulting in a flat output signal.

2. What is the sign of the output voltage in a clipper circuit?

The sign of the output voltage in a clipper circuit depends on the type of clipper circuit used. In a positive clipper circuit, the output voltage will be clipped at the positive threshold and have a positive sign. In a negative clipper circuit, the output voltage will be clipped at the negative threshold and have a negative sign.

3. How can the output voltage of a clipper circuit be calculated?

The output voltage of a clipper circuit can be calculated by determining the threshold voltage of the diode, and then using the appropriate formula depending on the type of clipper circuit used. For a positive clipper circuit, the output voltage can be calculated using Vout = Vin - Vt, where Vin is the input voltage and Vt is the threshold voltage. For a negative clipper circuit, the output voltage can be calculated using Vout = Vin + Vt.

4. What is the difference between a series clipper circuit and a shunt clipper circuit?

A series clipper circuit is one in which the diode is connected in series with the load, while a shunt clipper circuit is one in which the diode is connected in parallel with the load. The main difference between the two is the way they clip the signal. In a series clipper, the diode acts as a switch, cutting off the signal when it exceeds the threshold. In a shunt clipper, the diode conducts when the signal exceeds the threshold, diverting the excess current away from the load.

5. What are some common applications of clipper circuits?

Clipper circuits are commonly used in electronic devices to protect sensitive components from excessive voltages. They can also be used in audio circuits to remove unwanted noise or distortion from a signal. Additionally, clipper circuits are used in power supplies to regulate the output voltage to a specific level.