Help one question about analysis

• Thread starter ShengyaoLiang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the set A={1/n : n in N} is not compact. This can be proven by explicitly finding a family of open sets {U_n = (1/n,infinity) | n in N} which covers A but has no finite subfamily which also covers A. Another family of open sets, {(-infinity, infinity)}, also covers A but does have a finite subfamily which covers A. However, this example does not show that A is compact, as the set {(x,y) | |x| + |y| < 1} is not compact. Additionally, by extending the argument for the set {1/n}, it can be shown that not every open set in R or R^2 is
ShengyaoLiang
The set A={1/n : n in N} is not compact.
A) prove this by explicitly finding a family of open sets which covers A but has no finite subfamily whcih also covers A.
B) Find another family of open sets which covers A and does have a finite subfamily which cobers A.

Physics news on Phys.org
i have no idea on how it works...
i am learning by myself right now...so could some one help me out?...thank you very much...

I assume you are working in the standard topology for R. Then just take the family of open sets defined by

{U_n = (1/n,infinity) | n in N}.

This does not have a finite subcover. To see this notice that U_n+1 contains U_n for all n. Then any finite subcollection of these sets will have a maximal lement U_M where M is in N. Clear the point 1/(M+1) is not in any of the sets in the finite subcollection.

B. Take the collection {(-infinty, infinity)}.

Try to extend this argument for the set {(x,y) | |x| + |y| < 1} and to be able to say any open set in R or R^2 is not compact.

Here's another example:
The distance from 1/n to 1/(n+1) is 1/(n(n+1)) (the distance from 1/n to 1/(n-1) is larger). Take as your open sets each Un the neighborhood of 1/n with radius 1/(n(n+1)). Each of those contains exactly one point in {1/n} and so no finite subset will cover all of {1/n}.

For B, just take { (0, 2)}. That is a single set that covers all of {1/n} by itself. Of course, that tells us nothing about the compactness. {1/n} is "still" compact because not every open cover has a finite subcover.

is still NOT compact is what halls of ivy means.

Oops, thanks! My fingers don't always connect to my brain.

here is a clue. if you throw in 0, it becomes compact.

What is data analysis?

Data analysis is the process of using statistical and analytical methods to collect, organize, and interpret data. It involves identifying patterns, trends, and relationships within data, and using this information to make informed decisions or draw conclusions.

Why is data analysis important?

Data analysis is important because it helps us make sense of large amounts of data in a meaningful way. By analyzing data, we can gain insights and make informed decisions that can impact various areas such as business, healthcare, and scientific research.

What are the different types of data analysis?

There are several types of data analysis, including descriptive, exploratory, inferential, and predictive analysis. Descriptive analysis describes the characteristics of a dataset, while exploratory analysis looks for patterns and relationships within the data. Inferential analysis involves making predictions or drawing conclusions based on a sample of data, while predictive analysis uses data to make predictions about future outcomes.

What tools and techniques are commonly used in data analysis?

There are many tools and techniques used in data analysis, such as statistical software like R or Python, spreadsheets like Excel, and data visualization tools like Tableau. Other techniques include regression analysis, cluster analysis, and data mining.

How do I improve my data analysis skills?

Improving data analysis skills involves practicing and familiarizing oneself with different tools and techniques, staying updated on new developments in the field, and honing critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Taking courses or attending workshops on data analysis can also help improve skills in this area.