HELP Planning on Going to College Early

• Schools
  • Thread starter hedy.yu31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary: You'll also need to contact your high school counselor to make an appointment and ask what you need to do to be eligible for credit. This is definitely a lot to take in! I hope this helps. In summary, a high school graduate can take community college courses if they haven't graduated high school, and they should have no problem doing so. They will need to speak to their high school counselor and ask what they need to do to be eligible for credit.
hedy.yu31
**HELP**Planning on Going to College Early

Hey, guys! I'm an 8th grader at the moment. (Graduating in 1 and a half weeks!) I've decided that I want to go to college earlier than most to start on my future earlier. (My plan is super complicated, so we'll just skip it.) I have a few questions and I'm unsure about whether my plan is possible or not...they are listed below:

1. Is there a way to take a test on a course you took during the summer so that it will count as credits for the school year? (I think i worded it weird.) EX: I take an AP Chem. course during the summer. Can I take a standard test on it so that it will count for credits (if I pass)? If so, can I take a harder course my sophomore year instead of AP Chem?

2. Is there any way I can take community college courses if I haven't even graduated high school yet?

3. Do you think the older high school students treat me like an outcast if I am in the same class as them?

4. What is that stuff about going to college during the senior year of high school and graduating with senior class on graduation day?

Thanks for helpin'! (:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

For the most part these are questions that you should be asking at your high-school. I know that programs such as those you described exist (The program to attend college and high-school is called dual-enrollment where I live), but the specifics of them will probably be very particular to whichever high-school you attend.

Yeah, I have an appt. with my counselor during the summer, but I'm so impatient! ):< Thanks for your answer!

1. Is there a way to take a test on a course you took during the summer so that it will count as credits for the school year? (I think i worded it weird.) EX: I take an AP Chem. course during the summer. Can I take a standard test on it so that it will count for credits (if I pass)? If so, can I take a harder course my sophomore year instead of AP Chem?

I graduated high school early by taking exams and taking some courses at community college. I was able to graduate high school in two years instead of four this way. Each school district is different. You'll have to check with your high school to see what qualifies for credit towards your high school diploma.

ETA: For the exams, I had to pass them with a minimum of 90%. There was no charge for the exams--though, that could have been specific to my school district--which means it's cheaper than community college tuition (which is already cheap to begin with). Also, I'm an autodidact, so it was easy for me to "get" the information I needed/wanted on my own from textbooks; I had no need of a [community college] instructor to teach me anything.

2. Is there any way I can take community college courses if I haven't even graduated high school yet?

You should have no problem. It's actually fairly common to do. Contact your community college of choice and ask what you'll need to do to enroll.

3. Do you think the older high school students treat me like an outcast if I am in the same class as them?

Frankly, you'll probably be an outcast anyway. More motivation to graduate HS early: to get away from high school students.

4. What is that stuff about going to college during the senior year of high school and graduating with senior class on graduation day?

I graduated early, which means I ended up graduating with a class that I wasn't really a member of; that is, I graduated two years ahead of the kids I started school with.

Last edited:

Dang. :O Was it really tough and strenuous getting through high school in 2 years? (B/c that's what I'm shooting for.) Oh, and the exams...what would I have to do to take them? Do I have to contact a certain person or anything? Thanks for all your answers! (: They are really helpful! Also, are you in college right now??

If you truly plan on doing this, you will, at some point or another, need to speak to your high school academic adviser/high school counselor. Ask if programs similar to those which have been described here exist in your district. There will almost undoubtedly be a "dual-enrollment" program (here it was called post secondary enrollment). However, where I live, the "normal" requirement was that you had to be least a junior and have a specific GPA (I think it was 3.0, don't remember exactly, though.). I'm sure there were ways around this, with special permission, but on the form that they made you fill out this was listed as a "requirement".

Ask your Counselor/Adviser.

Thanks for the help! I'll definitely be asking for my counselor's help!

Yes ask your high school counselors for advice.

Also... why the hell are you in such a rush to start your career? High school can be such a pain depending on how you take it, but rushing through some of the funner times in life can suck.

The important thing, however, is will you do well if you rush through high school? A high schooler that takes 2 or 3 years but only gets a 3.5 GPA. Although hell, these days with 10% of a class being valedictorians, you better be one too or else your quick run through high school won't look like much to a college.

hedy.yu31 said:
You can take AP tests without taking any class at all, if you pay for it.

hedy.yu31 said:
As it's already been said, ask your counselor. This is referred to as "dual enrollment," and *most* schools have programs with local colleges to facilitate it. One important note is that dual enrollment credit typically counts for college and high school.

hedy.yu31 said:
It depends on your personality. Theoretically, it would be best to be humble, but that's always been hard for me, I don't know about you.

hedy.yu31 said:
This could go under dual enrollment. Most who do dual enrollment don't get to it until late in their high school careers, but I've never heard of it being forbidden to those of lower rank with reasonable prerequisites. Alternatively, some people graduate early. Basically, that's getting all the required credits in less than 4 years. Whether you get to "walk" is a decision for your school administrators.

In context "walk," means to receive your diploma on stage, like you usually see in movie graduations. That's what you're referring to, right?

Pengwuino said:
Yes ask your high school counselors for advice.

Also... why the hell are you in such a rush to start your career? High school can be such a pain depending on how you take it, but rushing through some of the funner times in life can suck.

The important thing, however, is will you do well if you rush through high school? A high schooler that takes 2 or 3 years but only gets a 3.5 GPA. Although hell, these days with 10% of a class being valedictorians, you better be one too or else your quick run through high school won't look like much to a college.
Thanks! Oh, I'm not going to "rush through" high school. I intend to do the best I can (by putting all my effort into everything) and to savor every moment. And of course I'll be valedictorian. ;)

TylerH said:
You can take AP tests without taking any class at all, if you pay for it.

As it's already been said, ask your counselor. This is referred to as "dual enrollment," and *most* schools have programs with local colleges to facilitate it. One important note is that dual enrollment credit typically counts for college and high school.

It depends on your personality. Theoretically, it would be best to be humble, but that's always been hard for me, I don't know about you.

This could go under dual enrollment. Most who do dual enrollment don't get to it until late in their high school careers, but I've never heard of it being forbidden to those of lower rank with reasonable prerequisites. Alternatively, some people graduate early. Basically, that's getting all the required credits in less than 4 years. Whether you get to "walk" is a decision for your school administrators.

In context "walk," means to receive your diploma on stage, like you usually see in movie graduations. That's what you're referring to, right?
Aren't AP tests supposed to be taken during junior year? Is it possible to take them earlier? And for #4, you answered my question in your answer to #2. (: Thanks a bunch!

AP tests can be taken any year during high school (I took them all 3 years of my high school - I graduated early, so I didn't have a fourth year). They are only offered in the spring though, to the best of my knowledge. I don't think they can be taken at the end of summer or fall.

Here's my recommendation:

1) Don't, under any circumstances, finish high school early. It will put you at a severe disadvantage.

2) Take as many advanced classes as you can at your high school, but don't worry about rushing it.

3) Take classes at a community college or local university over the summer. Take night/evening college classes after school, if you must. Mathematics, chemistry, physics, biology, creative writing, foreign language.

4) Read as much as you can in your free time. The earlier you start to become an independent reader/thinker, the better. Ask teachers for books to read.

That's it. Now is the time you should work on your general education. In college, you are going to be spending most of your time taking courses in your major, and you'll never have another chance in your life to take certain courses outside your major.

The longer time you take, the more well-rounded you'll become. If you find you have too much free time or are bored, then you aren't reading enough on your own.

Geezer did a nice job of ansering your questions one by one, but I'll add my two cents.

Of course this is a question for your high school guidance department (which is the credit-regulating body at your school). But when you talk to them, I think they will focus on "course reciprocity" plans with colleges. AP courses in a high school are designed to allow high school classes to count as college classes (with the exam indicating some "level" of competence in a standardized form so the college knows whether or not to award credit). You want to work the other way around, with a college course giving high school credit, which is typically easier, since colleges are presumably accredited programs with higher standards for their "teachers" (holding master's or Ph.D.'s in the field). I don't think that a "test" will be needed going that direction... I tend to think that a transcript from the college will be sufficient.

One specific word of note: LABS. Be sure you register for the lab of a course if it is not offered as part for the course (this can vary by university). Your high school will probably want to see you've done that labwork for the course to award full credit. I even know this can work the other way: university departments can require the high school syllabus with a portfolio showing labs completed in order to grant full credit from high school AP courses (i.e. the AP exam isn't enough -- some students will get credit for the lecture, but have to take the lab if the high school labwork isn't documented).

Once credit is awarded in your high school, I think you'll have no problem enrolling in a more advanced course.

Geezer is right: contact local universities admissions counselors and discuss. Also ask your high school counselor. There may have already been a student from your school that has done this, which may point you towards which university to work with...

I'm not as negative here as Geezer: I don't think so IF you're nice, not condescending, not always talking about your "big plans," and especially if you just say you happen to be "good at science (or math)" and try to help them out a bit when you can (i.e. during labs). My "best" lab partners wheen I was in high school were actually the ones that were senior students when I was younger. They were maybe the ones that were "bad" at science, but they were really motivated to graduate, and wanted to be sure to get through, so they were interested in learning as much as they could from the lab -- so they would really discuss things with me in class.

This is again something to ask your counselor. I think such "co-enrollment" during the senior year (when you've perhaps really already had enough credits to graduate) is designed for the social aspect -- graduation, like you mention, and perhaps prom. you may or may not care about that, and want to graduate early if possible, and just move onto your freshman/first-year of college.

I conditionally agree that you shouldn't graduate early. Most schools that have programs for dual enrollment help out significantly with the costs, some even pay everything. If that's the case at your high school, there's no reason to graduate when you can take as many classes as fully enrolled students for FREE. I don't think this type of assistance is uncommon. My high school, for example, is paying for me to take the same amount of credit hours as a full time student.

1. What are the benefits of going to college early?

The benefits of going to college early include gaining a head start on your education, potentially saving time and money, and having the opportunity to take more advanced courses and explore a wider range of subjects.

2. How can I prepare myself for going to college early?

To prepare for going to college early, you should take challenging courses in high school, participate in extracurricular activities, and develop good study habits and time management skills. It may also be helpful to take college-level courses or exams, such as AP or IB classes or the SAT/ACT.

3. What are some potential challenges of going to college early?

Some potential challenges of going to college early include feeling out of place or socially isolated, struggling to balance the academic workload, and facing financial difficulties if you are not eligible for financial aid or scholarships.

4. How can I determine if going to college early is the right decision for me?

To determine if going to college early is the right decision for you, consider your academic abilities, your personal and social readiness, and your long-term goals. It may also be helpful to speak with your parents, teachers, and guidance counselors for their perspectives.

5. Are there any specific requirements or qualifications for going to college early?

The specific requirements and qualifications for going to college early may vary depending on the institution and program. Some colleges may require a minimum GPA, standardized test scores, or specific course prerequisites. It is important to research and understand the requirements for the specific college and program you are interested in.