Help please -- Problem of hydrostatics force in flat surfaces

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating pressure at point B and the difficulty of determining the free surface in container 3. The speaker suggests a simpler approach involving an object of known volume in a tank of fluid. They ask questions about the net upward force and the force from fluid seeping under the object, and how this can help determine force contributions from each compartment in the problem.
Queren Suriano

Homework Statement

upload_2015-3-26_14-17-21.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I could know the pressure in point B

upload_2015-3-26_14-18-23.png

If I calculate the heigh of pressure I got:
upload_2015-3-26_14-19-0.png
But I don't know where is my free surface in the container 3, is it down??

I don't know how to keep doing it...

Physics news on Phys.org
On the face of it, you need to integrate over the sloping surfaces to get the vertical force (because the pressure varies with depth).
Let me suggest a simpler approach.
Consider an object of known volume sitting at the bottom of a tank of fluid of known density and depth. The shape is arbitrary, except that the base is flat and sits squarely on the flat bottom of the tank. The contact surfaces are not perfectly smooth, though, so fluid can readily seep under the object.
What is the net upward force on the object from the fluid?
What is the upward force on the object arising only from the fluid that seeps under the object?
What can you conclude about the downward force on the object only arising from the fluid elsewhere?

Can you see how this would help you figure out the force contribution from each compartment in your problem?

1. What is hydrostatics force?

Hydrostatics force is the force exerted by a fluid at rest on a flat surface. It is a result of the pressure of the fluid pushing against the surface, and is dependent on the depth and density of the fluid.

2. How is hydrostatics force calculated?

Hydrostatics force is calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the gravitational acceleration and the depth of the fluid. This value is then multiplied by the surface area of the object in contact with the fluid.

3. What is the significance of hydrostatics force in flat surfaces?

Hydrostatics force is important in understanding the stability and equilibrium of objects on or submerged in fluids. It also plays a role in the design and construction of structures such as dams, ships, and submarines.

4. How does the shape of a flat surface affect hydrostatics force?

The shape of a flat surface can impact the distribution and magnitude of hydrostatics force. For example, a curved surface may experience a different distribution of pressure compared to a flat surface, resulting in a different hydrostatics force.

5. How can hydrostatics force be managed or controlled in flat surfaces?

Hydrostatics force can be managed or controlled through the use of reinforcements, such as beams or braces, to distribute the force evenly and prevent structural failure. Additionally, the shape and orientation of the surface can also be adjusted to minimize the impact of hydrostatics force.