How do I solve 2x/7 = 2x^2 using division and substitution?

In summary: In this case, the 3rd and 5th factors will cancel out, so you would just get x^3.case 3:when x is a multiple of 5. Here, the 5th and the 2nd factors will cancel out, so you would just get x^5.And for the record, this approach is essentially correct (with MarkFL's warning that dividing by zero implies that x is not zero, so you need to take that into account and check whether zero is in fact a solution, this often confuses students and so is not generally taught until later) but you made a mistake in your computation (in red), leading you to a
babcockkw
So here is the question:
2x/7=2x^2

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Help Please :)

When our members post questions, we expect for them to show what they have tried, or what they think they should do, or at the very least state that they simply have no idea how to begin. This way our helpers no where the person is stuck and can offer guidance at that point.

Can you show what you have tried and where you are stuck?

edit: I have edited the topic title to add a bit of information regarding the nature of the question you are asking. A title stating that you are asking for help provides no information, as the fact that you are posting implies that you are seeking help. The title should include more information than can be discerned from the forum in which you are posting. For example the title Please help with this trig. problem, posted in the Trigonometry forum does not give our members any information, but a title such as How do I solve this problem using the Law of Cosines tells people something about the problem within the topic. This benefits our members in that simply by browsing the forums they can see what kinds of topics are addressed, and searches are also made easier with such descriptive titles. :D

Last edited:
Re: Help Please :)

MarkFL said:
When our members post questions, we expect for them to show what they have tried, or what they think they should do, or at the very least state that they simply have no idea how to begin. This way our helpers no where the person is stuck and can offer guidance at that point.

Can you show what you have tried and where you are stuck?

Absolutely, I have tried to break up the right side of the equation, so that the equation looks like: 2x/7= (2x)(2x)
After this, I divided each side by 2x:
(2x/7)/2x=(2x^2)/2x
After that, I'm pretty stuck.

The first thing I would do is observe that both sides have 2 as a factor, so I would divide through by 2. What does your equation look like now?

MarkFL said:
The first thing I would do is observe that both sides have 2 as a factor, so I would divide through by 2. What does your equation look like now?

Starting from the beginning or where I currently have the equation?

Alright, maybe I figured it out. I got x=7. Let me explain:
2x/7=2x^2 Divide each side by two
(2x/7)/2=(2x^2)/2 simplify to:
x/7=x^2 Divide each side by x
(x/7)/x= (x^2)/x Simplify to:
7=x

Last edited:
I'm sorry, from the beginning:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2x}{7}=2x^2\)

MarkFL said:
I'm sorry, from the beginning:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2x}{7}=2x^2\)

2x/7=2x^2
Divide each side by two
(2x/7)/2=(2x^2)/2
simplify to:
x/7=x^2
Divide each side by x
(x/7)/x= (x^2)/x
Simplify to:
7=x

I'm a bit confused on when you can cancel while dividing. Is it just when the top & bottom mach because they would just equal one?

Well, $x=7$ does not work...try substituting it into the original equation and you will find:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2(7)}{7}=2(7)^2\)

\(\displaystyle 2=98\)

This is not true, so that solution must be incorrect. Also since the equation is quadratic, you should expect to find 2 solutions. When you divide through by $x$ you need to be aware that you are eliminating $x=0$ as a solution. I don't like to tell students to divide through by $x$ at this level of math, although opinions on this will vary.

So, you did correctly divide through by 2 to obtain:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{7}=x^2\)

Next, I suggest multiplying through by 7 to get rid of that denominator...what do you get?

babcockkw said:
2x/7=2x^2
Divide each side by two
(2x/7)/2=(2x^2)/2
simplify to:
x/7=x^2
Divide each side by x
(x/7)/x= (x^2)/x
Simplify to: (mistake going from above to below)
7=x

I'm a bit confused on when you can cancel while dividing. Is it just when the top & bottom mach because they would just equal one?

And for the record, this approach is essentially correct (with MarkFL's warning that dividing by zero implies that x is not zero, so you need to take that into account and check whether zero is in fact a solution, this often confuses students and so is not generally taught until later) but you made a mistake in your computation (in red), leading you to a wrong solution. Can you see the error?​

Hello,
This how I would solve it:) (I Will explain with words) When you divide by x you can think Two case cause if you type 3/0 in your calculator it Will give you 'undefined' so we can think like Two case. (Notice you got x^2 that means you Will get more Then one soloution)
case 1:
when x=0. That one is pretty simple, just replace x with 0 and look if it's true. In your equation you Will get 0=0 and that is true, that means we got à soloution when x is 0!:)
Case 2
when x is NOT equal to zero. That means you can divide by x:) post when you got soloution or need help or got any question:)

Last edited:

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a mathematical equation that contains one variable raised to the power of two (i.e. squared). It is written in the form of ax² + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. What is the formula for solving a quadratic equation?

The formula for solving a quadratic equation is called the quadratic formula, which is:
x = (-b ± √(b² - 4ac)) / 2a
This formula allows us to find the values of x that make the equation equal to 0.

3. How do you solve a quadratic equation by factoring?

To solve a quadratic equation by factoring, we need to find two numbers that, when multiplied, give us the constant term (c) and when added, give us the coefficient of the x term (b). These numbers will then become the factors of the quadratic equation, which we can then rewrite in the form of (x + a)(x + b) = 0, where a and b are the two numbers we found. From here, we can set each factor equal to 0 and solve for x.

4. What is the discriminant of a quadratic equation?

The discriminant is a value that is found within the quadratic formula (b² - 4ac) and helps us determine the nature of the solutions to a quadratic equation. If the discriminant is positive, there are two real solutions; if it is zero, there is one real solution; and if it is negative, there are no real solutions (only complex solutions).

5. What are some real-life applications of quadratic equations?

Quadratic equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. Some examples of real-life applications include calculating the trajectory of a projectile, determining the optimal shape and size of objects, and predicting the profit or loss of a business based on different variables.