Help proving matrix properties:

In summary, the question is whether AB^2 = (A^2)(B^2) is a valid claim for matrices A and B with the same dimensions. One attempt at a solution involved showing that (AB)^2 = A(BA)B and (A^2)(B^2) = A(AB)B, but this approach was discarded because it relies on the assumption that A and B are both invertible, which cannot be proven. It is not generally true that AB = BA, so a counterexample can be found to show that (AB)^2 = (A^2)(B^2) is not a valid claim.
SrEstroncio

Homework Statement

Let A, B be both matrices with the same dimensions. Is AB^2 = (A^2)(B^2) a valid claim?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to show that (AB)^2 = (AB)(AB) = A(BA)B
and that (A^2)(B^2) = (AA)(BB) = A(AB)B, so for A(BA)B to be equal to A(AB)B, AB must be equal to BA, which is not always true.

I discarded this approach as nothing assures me that A and B are both invertible, and thus I cannot prove that A(BA)B = A(AB)B implies BA = AB. My teacher is kinda picky about this stuff.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In fact, it's not generally true that AB = BA, so if you can find a counterexample (start with 2x2 matrices), you will have shown that (AB)2 = A2B2 is not a valid claim.

There are a few ways to approach this problem, depending on the specific properties and definitions that have been covered in your class. Here are two possible explanations:

1. Using the distributive property of matrix multiplication:

We know that matrix multiplication is not commutative, meaning that AB is not always equal to BA. Therefore, we cannot simply cancel the B's in the equation AB^2 = (A^2)(B^2). However, we can use the distributive property to show that AB^2 is equal to A(BB), and (A^2)(B^2) is equal to (AA)(BB). Since matrix multiplication is associative, we can then show that A(BB) is equal to (AA)B, but not necessarily equal to A(AB). Therefore, the claim is not always valid.

2. Using counterexamples:

We can also provide a counterexample to show that the claim is not always true. Consider the matrices A = [1 0] and B = [0 1]. It is easy to verify that AB^2 = [0 1] but (A^2)(B^2) = [1 0], which are not equal. This counterexample shows that the claim is not always valid.

In general, it is important to understand the properties and definitions of matrix operations in order to prove or disprove claims like this one. It is also important to carefully consider any assumptions that are made, such as invertibility, in order to ensure the validity of the proof.

Related to Help proving matrix properties:

1. What are the basic properties of matrices?

The basic properties of matrices include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and scalar multiplication. Addition and subtraction involve adding or subtracting corresponding elements of two matrices to create a new matrix. Multiplication involves multiplying corresponding elements and summing the products. Scalar multiplication involves multiplying a matrix by a constant.

2. How can I prove a matrix property?

To prove a matrix property, you can use algebraic manipulation and logic to show that the property holds true for all valid matrices. This may involve using properties of arithmetic, such as the commutative and associative properties, along with properties specific to matrices, such as the distributive property.

3. What is the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. The inverse of a matrix is denoted as A-1 and can be found using various methods, such as the Gauss-Jordan elimination method or the adjugate matrix method.

4. Can I use matrices to solve systems of equations?

Yes, matrices can be used to solve systems of equations. This involves setting up a matrix equation, where the coefficient matrix is multiplied by a vector of the variables, equaling a vector of the constants. The inverse of the coefficient matrix can then be used to solve for the variables.

5. How can I apply matrix properties in real-world situations?

Matrix properties have many applications in the real world, such as in data analysis, computer graphics, and engineering. For example, matrices can be used to represent and manipulate data in spreadsheets, create 3D graphics in video games, and solve systems of equations in electrical circuit analysis.