Help proving that matrices are similar

• Thread starter Jadehaan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, to determine if two 4x4 matrices A and B are similar, you must find their eigenvalues and eigenvectors. If the eigenvalues are the same for both matrices and the corresponding eigenvectors are also the same, then the matrices are similar. One way to show this is by finding the Smith normal form, which can also be obtained from the characteristic polynomial. However, you are required to show all work and may have trouble calculating it by hand.
Jadehaan
1. Given two 4x4 matrices, A and B, I must determine if they are similar.
A=[(2,0,0,0) B=[(5,0,-4,-7)
(-4,-1,-4,0) (3,-8,15,-13)
(2,1,3,0) (2,-4,7,-7)
(-2,4,9,1)] (1,2,-5,1)]

2. A and B are similar if, A=P^(-1)BP

3. I found the eigenvalues to be 1,1,1,2 for both matrices. I also calculated their eigenvectors and eigenspaces. I am stumped as how to show that the two are similar. I know similar matrices have the same eigenvalues, but I don't think that is enough to prove similarity.

Thanks for any help,
James

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with any of the canonical forms?

Yes. Would finding the smith normal form help at all?

Sure. If they both have the same Smith normal form, then they are similar.

Thank you very much. I am having trouble calculating the Smith Normal Form by hand. We are required to show all work. I used the math program Maple to find the Smith Normal but now I have to obtain it by hand. Is there any shortcut rather than just diagonalizing (xI-A)? Can I obtain it from the charachteristic polynomial?

You say you have found the eigenvalues (which are the same for both matrices) and the corresponding eigenvectors which you don't show. If the eigenvectors (or, more generally, the eigenspaces) corresponding to each eigenvalue are the same for the two matrices, then they are similar matrices.

1. What is the definition of matrix similarity?

Matrix similarity refers to the relationship between two matrices that have the same size and shape, but may have different values in their entries. Two matrices are considered similar if there exists an invertible matrix that can transform one matrix into the other.

2. How can I prove that two matrices are similar?

To prove that two matrices are similar, you can use the similarity transformation method. This involves finding an invertible matrix that can transform one matrix into the other. If such a matrix exists, then the two matrices are considered similar.

3. What are the properties of similar matrices?

Similar matrices have several important properties. They have the same determinant, trace, rank, and characteristic polynomial. They also have the same eigenvalues, although their eigenvectors may differ.

4. Is matrix similarity an equivalence relation?

Yes, matrix similarity is an equivalence relation. This means that it satisfies the properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. In other words, every matrix is similar to itself, if matrix A is similar to matrix B, then matrix B is also similar to matrix A, and if matrix A is similar to matrix B and matrix B is similar to matrix C, then matrix A is also similar to matrix C.

5. How is matrix similarity related to diagonalization?

Diagonalization is a process that involves finding an invertible matrix that can transform a given matrix into a diagonal matrix. Similar matrices have the same diagonal form, which means that if a matrix is similar to a diagonal matrix, it is also diagonalizable. This is why matrix similarity is closely related to diagonalization.