Need help proving that an infinite double sum is 1

In summary: This is what I was trying to do. I was getting series of the form \sum_k \sum_m, but I was not able to get it to sum to one.
mjordan2nd

Homework Statement

I am asked to prove that [itex]e^{iB}[/itex] is unitary if B is a self-adjoint matrix.

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to prove this I am attempting to show [itex]e^{iB} \widetilde{e^{iB}} = 1[/itex]. Using the assumption that B is self-adjoint I have been able to show that

[tex]

e^{iB} \widetilde{e^{iB}} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \sum_{m=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^m i^{m+n} B^{m+n}}{m!n!}.

[/tex]

I have looked at the first few powers of B and shown that the coefficients go to 0. I expect that this is the case in general for m+n>0, however I am having difficulty proving this (for m,n=0 the term is 1). Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that's the easiest way to prove this. If B is self-adjoint then B has a complete set of orthonomal eigenvectors with real eigenvalues. If v is an eigenvector then Bv=λv then e^(iB)v=e^(iλ)v. Pick a basis of eigenvectors and show e^(iB) is unitary directly.

I'm sorry, I'm a little lost by what you mean by showing the e^(iB) is unitary directly.

mjordan2nd said:
I'm sorry, I'm a little lost by what you mean by showing the e^(iB) is unitary directly.

If U is unitary that means <Ux,Uy>=<x,y>, right? It preserves the inner product.

Last edited:
I see what you're saying. I will attempt that.

I'm still interested in seeing how one would simplify the sum. Wolfram alpha confirms that the sum goes to one, so if anyone could enlighten me about this I would appreciate it.

mjordan2nd said:
I see what you're saying. I will attempt that.

I'm still interested in seeing how one would simplify the sum. Wolfram alpha confirms that the sum goes to one, so if anyone could enlighten me about this I would appreciate it.

If you want to specifically work with the series, then you should try to "change variables" in the series. Let k=m+n, then you should get series of the form

[tex]\sum_k \sum_m[/tex]

The inner sum (summed of m) is a finite sum. Try to get that in the form of a binomial sum.

What is an infinite double sum?

An infinite double sum is a mathematical concept that involves adding an infinite number of terms in a sequence, where each term is itself an infinite sum.

How can a double sum be proven to be equal to 1?

The proof for showing that a double sum is equal to 1 involves using mathematical techniques such as rearranging terms, factoring, and using known identities. It is a complicated process that requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts.

Why is it important to prove that an infinite double sum is equal to 1?

Proving that an infinite double sum is equal to 1 can have significant implications in various fields of science and mathematics. It can help to solve complex mathematical problems, make predictions in physics and other sciences, and provide a better understanding of infinite series and their properties.

What challenges may arise when trying to prove an infinite double sum is 1?

One of the main challenges in proving that an infinite double sum is equal to 1 is the complexity of the process. It often requires advanced mathematical knowledge and techniques, and even then, the proof may not be straightforward and may require multiple steps. Additionally, there may be errors or mistakes in the process that can make the proof invalid.

Are there any real-world applications for proving an infinite double sum is 1?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for proving an infinite double sum is equal to 1. Some examples include using the proof to solve problems in physics, engineering, and economics. It can also be used to develop more accurate mathematical models and make predictions in various scientific fields.