Help required in design of a fan

• Thread starter okaakshay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design Fan
In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a fan that will push air down with considerable pressure. The question is raised about the appropriate blade profile for such a fan, with the suggestion that a lift wing profile may not be useful. However, it is mentioned that wing profiles can work upside down and it is possible to design the fan blades in a normal airfoil design. The conversation concludes with the reminder that the camber must be upside down for the design to work properly.
okaakshay
Hello,
I and my team are making a project in which we have to build a fan which ,when run , will push air down and with some considerable pressure. The Fan will be positioned horizontally. What should be the Blade Profile for such a fan ?? I do not think a lift wing blade profile could be useful because here the Fan has to push air down . ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
okaakshay said:
I do not think a lift wing blade profile could be useful bcoz here the Fan has to push air down.
Wing profiles work just as well upside down.

So do you mean that I can design the Blades of the fan in a normal airfoil design that a plane wing has and that it will push air down with sum pressure when i attach it to a motor... ??

Last edited by a moderator:
okaakshay said:
So do u mean that I can design the Blades of the fan in a normal airfoil design that a plane wing has and that it will push air down with sum pressure when i attach it to a motor... ??

Certainly. Why would you think an airplane wing would only work right side up?

You realize that the camber has to be upside down though, right?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your fan design project. I would recommend considering the following factors when designing the blade profile for your fan:

1. Airflow direction: Since your fan will be positioned horizontally, the blade profile should be designed to push air down in a straight line. This can be achieved by using a flat or slightly angled blade profile.

2. Pressure requirements: To achieve considerable pressure, the blade profile should be designed with a higher angle of attack, which will create more resistance and pressure against the airflow.

3. Blade shape: The shape of the blade can also affect the airflow and pressure. A curved blade profile can create a more focused and concentrated airflow, while a straight blade may disperse the airflow more evenly.

4. Blade pitch: The pitch of the blades, or the angle at which they are tilted, can also impact the airflow and pressure. A higher pitch can generate more pressure, but it may also require more power to run the fan.

Considering these factors, I would suggest experimenting with different blade profiles, shapes, and pitches to find the optimal design for your fan. You may also want to consult with aerodynamics experts or use computer simulations to further refine your design.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your project!

Sincerely,

1. How do I determine the required airflow for my fan?

The required airflow for a fan can be determined by calculating the volume of air needed in the space to be ventilated. This can be done by multiplying the length, width, and height of the room. Once you have the volume, you can then calculate the required airflow in cubic feet per minute (CFM) by dividing the volume by the desired air changes per hour (ACH).

2. What factors should I consider when designing a fan?

When designing a fan, you should consider the required airflow, the type of fan (such as axial or centrifugal), the fan's efficiency, the static pressure, the noise level, and the space limitations for installation. It is also important to consider the environment in which the fan will be operating, such as temperature and humidity levels.

3. How do I choose the right fan for my application?

Choosing the right fan for your application involves considering the factors mentioned above, as well as the specific requirements of your space and the type of ventilation needed. It is important to carefully research and compare different fan options to ensure you select the best one for your needs.

4. Can I customize the design of a fan?

Yes, it is possible to customize the design of a fan to fit your specific needs. This can include adjusting the size, shape, and materials used for the fan blades, motor, and housing. However, keep in mind that customizing a fan may affect its performance and efficiency, so it is important to consult with a professional before making any changes.

5. How do I ensure the safety and durability of my fan design?

To ensure the safety and durability of your fan design, it is important to follow industry standards and regulations, as well as conduct thorough testing and quality control. It is also recommended to work with experienced engineers and manufacturers who specialize in fan design to ensure the highest level of safety and performance for your fan. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help to extend the lifespan of your fan.