Designing Your Own CPU Cooler Fan: Fundamental Tips

In summary, the student is a 3rd grade mechanical engineering student who wants to make a CPU cooler using a PID controlled fan with an Arduino. They are looking for information on fan dynamics and the fundamentals of fans to help them design their own fan. They clarify that this is not for a school project or homework, but rather a personal project they want to work on during the summer. They have already searched for "fundamentals of fans" and were advised to read up on it before asking specific questions.
Kosmosisive
Hi folks.I'm 3rd grade mechanical engineering student.I want to make cpu cooler.I will make pid controlled fan with an arduino. PID path is easy but I could not find anything about fan dynamics. I want to design my own fan.I need something like "fundamentals of fans" that should answer my questions like;

Which material should I use?
How many blades should I make?
How thin should it be?
How much degree of blades should I choose?
How many fins should I use? etc.

It's not my school project or homework,I just want to make it.In summer I have a lot of time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kosmosisive said:
Hi folks.I'm 3rd grade mechanical engineering student.I want to make cpu cooler.I will make pid controlled fan with an arduino. PID path is easy but I could not find anything about fan dynamics. I want to design my own fan.I need something like "fundamentals of fans" that should answer my questions like;

Which material should I use?
How many blades should I make?
How thin should it be?
How much degree of blades should I choose?
How many fins should I use? etc.

It's not my school project or homework,I just want to make it.In summer I have a lot of time.

Welcome to the PF.

Sounds like a fun project. I just googled your phrase Fundamentals of Fans, and got lots of good-looking hits. Why don't you give that a try first, and then post specific questions about that reading (with links to what you have read) if you have specific questions. :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Sounds like a fun project. I just googled your phrase Fundamentals of Fans, and got lots of good-looking hits. Why don't you give that a try first, and then post specific questions about that reading (with links to what you have read) if you have specific questions. :smile:

Yeah you are right.I googled fundamentals of fans after I post this.I just tough of this while I was creating my message. :smile:

Likes berkeman

1. What materials are commonly used to make CPU cooler fans?

The most common materials used to make CPU cooler fans are plastic and metal. The fan blades are typically made of plastic, while the frame and heat sink are made of metal. Some high-end cooler fans may also include materials like copper or aluminum for better heat dissipation.

2. How important is the size and shape of the fan blades?

The size and shape of the fan blades can greatly impact the performance of the CPU cooler fan. Larger blades can move more air, while smaller blades are better for compact systems. The shape of the blades also affects the airflow and noise level. Curved blades are more efficient at moving air and can produce less noise compared to straight blades.

3. What is the ideal number of fan blades for a CPU cooler fan?

There is no specific ideal number of fan blades for a CPU cooler fan. It ultimately depends on the size and shape of the blades, as well as the intended use of the fan. Generally, more blades can improve the airflow, but too many blades can also increase noise. It's important to find a balance between the two for optimal performance.

4. How do I determine the right size for my CPU cooler fan?

The size of the CPU cooler fan should match the size of the heat sink and CPU socket. Most modern CPUs have standardized sizes, so it's important to check the specifications of your CPU and heat sink to find the appropriate fan size. Additionally, the fan should be able to fit comfortably in the computer case without any obstruction.

5. How can I improve the overall efficiency of my CPU cooler fan?

There are a few ways to improve the efficiency of a CPU cooler fan. First, make sure the fan is properly installed and securely attached to the heat sink. Secondly, regularly clean the fan and heat sink to remove any dust or debris that may be blocking airflow. Lastly, consider upgrading to higher quality fans with better materials and advanced features like variable speed control to optimize performance.