Radial Suction Fan Design & Equations

In summary, the conversation revolves around designing a fan that can suck air radially and blow it axially to solve a technical problem. The equations for this type of fan are usually developed for radial blowing fans, so the individual is looking for a formula to determine the blade angle and RPM combination for the desired air flow. They also inquire about how to link constant RPM to the acceleration, velocity, and displacement of a particle on the blade's surface. A suggestion is made to use an axial fan with ducts and inlet guide vanes. The individual also has a design idea involving a radial fan attached to a cage with neutral airflow, and they ask for literature on the physics of an air particle resting on the blade in this scenario.
Puntilla
Hi, I've been considering the design of a fan that sucks air radially and blows axially to resolve a technical problem of a machine. I've looked around for the equations governing the air particles and the angle of the radial blades (angle between a flat blade and a radial line) of the fans, but those equations are mostly developed for radial blowing fans and used to determine the pressure and velocity of air coming OUT radially. I would like to find a formula to determine what blade angle and RPM combination would cause air to be sucked radially and blown axially. Also, how to link constant RPM to the acceleration, velocity and displacement of a particle on the surface of a blade. Any help with this would be welcome... I tried to derive the equations based on free body diagrams, but I guess my physics are a bit rusty!

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Regards,

Puntilla

Physics news on Phys.org
A radial inflow fan is a very difficult thing to design .

An easier solution would be to use an axial fan and use ducts and inlet guide vanes to allow air to enter fan housing radially before passing through fan axially .

Hi Nidum, thanks a lot for your reply. I had a similar thought and already conceptualized something along those lines (see image below). As you can see, I've attached the radial fan (on the right) to a cage with "hopefully" neutral air flow. So along the lines of what my original question was, I would like to understand the physics of an air particle resting on one of the blades of the "neutral" airflow cage, so I can make design it with either neutral or slight radial inflow. Do you know of any literature to help me here?

Attachments

• Radial inflow concept.jpg
    Radial inflow concept.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 483
An Axial fan is basically a kind of compressor that can enhance the air pressure flowing through it. The range of axial flow fans is very wide and it may vary from a low or medium pressure fans to high pressure fans.

1. What is the purpose of a radial suction fan?

A radial suction fan is designed to move air or gas from one place to another, typically in industrial or commercial settings. It is commonly used in ventilation, heating and cooling systems, and material handling processes.

2. How is a radial suction fan designed?

A radial suction fan is designed using equations that take into account factors such as air flow rate, pressure, speed, and power requirements. The specific design will vary depending on the application and desired performance, but it typically involves selecting the appropriate fan size, blade shape, and motor power.

3. What are the key equations used in radial suction fan design?

The key equations used in radial suction fan design include the Bernoulli's equation, the Euler's equation, and the continuity equation. These equations are used to calculate the pressure and velocity of the air or gas as it moves through the fan, and to determine the required fan size and power.

4. How is the performance of a radial suction fan measured?

The performance of a radial suction fan is typically measured by its flow rate, pressure, and power consumption. These parameters can be calculated using the aforementioned equations or can be measured directly using specialized instruments.

5. What factors can affect the performance of a radial suction fan?

Several factors can affect the performance of a radial suction fan, including the design of the fan itself, the properties of the air or gas being moved, and the environment in which the fan is operating. Other factors such as fan maintenance, air leaks, and obstructions can also impact the performance of a radial suction fan.