Improve Your Test Review: Solving for Final Angular Speed with a Spinning Mass

• Thread starter fishingaddictr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Review Test
In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving a small mass connected to a cord and spun at a constant angular speed. The problem asks for the final angular speed of the mass when the cord is pulled inward to a shorter distance. The hint of "Conservation of angular momentum" is given and the moment of inertia is discussed. The final answer is calculated to be 73.46 radians per second.
fishingaddictr
im stuck on one of the homework problems I am reviewing for a test. any help would be appreciated. I am not sure on how to set up the problem.

a small 1.32 kg mass is connected to a cord of length 1.62 meters, and spun at a constant angular speed of 8.0 radians per second. if the cord is pulled inward so that the mass is only 0.33 times as far from the axis as it started out, what is the final angular speed of the mass at its new distance from the axis?

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Conservation of angular momentum

thats what i was thinking.. so i would set them equal.. what would the moment of inertia be for this case?

Since the mass is small, [tex]I = mr^2[/tex], where r is the length of the cord.

oh ok. i got it

since the mass would cancel out i got r1^2*v1=r2^2*v2 with the answer 73.46radians per second.

is that correct?

1. Why is it important to review for a test?

Reviewing for a test allows you to refresh your memory on the material and identify any areas you may need to study more. It also helps you feel more confident and prepared for the test.

2. How much time should I spend reviewing for a test?

The amount of time you should spend reviewing for a test depends on the length and difficulty of the material. It is recommended to start reviewing at least a week in advance and spend a few hours each day to ensure thorough understanding.

3. What are some effective methods for reviewing for a test?

Some effective methods for reviewing for a test include creating flashcards, summarizing notes, practicing with past exams or quizzes, and teaching the material to someone else.

4. Should I review alone or with a group?

This depends on personal preference. Some people find it helpful to review alone so they can focus and work at their own pace. Others prefer studying in a group to discuss and reinforce the material with others.

5. Is it okay to review the night before the test?

While it is better to review in advance, reviewing the night before the test can still be beneficial. However, make sure to get a good night's rest and avoid cramming too much information at once. Focus on key concepts and review your notes briefly.