Can Nested Subsets Prove Equality in Limits?

In summary, Mathman20 needs to show that the infimum of F (2F) exists, and then proves that the intersection of all subsets of F (2E) also exists.
mathboy20
Let F be the label of an non-empty set and let [tex](B_m)_{m \geq 1}[/tex] be elements in [itex]2^F[/itex]

Then I need to prove the following:

[tex]\mathrm{lim}_{m} \ \mathrm{sup} \ B_{m} = \mathrm{lim}_{m} \ \mathrm{inf} \ \mathrm{B_m} = \cup _{m= 1} ^{\infty} B_{m}[/tex]

if [tex]B_{m} \uparrow[/tex] which implies that [tex]B_{m} \subseteq B_{m+1}[/tex] for all [tex]m \geq 1[/tex] and

[tex]\mathrm{lim}_{m} \ \mathrm{sup} \ B_{m} = \mathrm{lim}_{m} \ \mathrm{inf} \ \mathrm{B_m} = \cap _{m= 1} ^{\infty} B_{m}[/tex]

if [tex]B_{m} \downarrow[/tex] which means that [tex]B_m \supseteq B_{m+1}[/tex] for all [tex]m \geq 1[/tex]

how do I go about proving this? Do I need to show the infimum of F first?

Sincerely
mb20

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you have makes no sense. I guess that you really mean 2F rather than 2E (or you mean E rather than F in the first line), the power set of F. But then (Bm) is just some collection of subsets of F. Don't you have some conditions on (Bm)? Finally, you say you need to show
[tex]\mathrm{lim}_{m} \ \mathrm{sup} \ B_{m}[/tex]
but that's not a statement you can "show", that's an expression. What is supposed to be true about it?

My solution

here is my solution

I say B_m "uparrow" if B_m is a subset of B_{m+1} for all m, so they are all nested upward. In this case I want to prove that

limsup B_m = liminf B_m = union of B_m over all m.

Let B be the union over all m of B_m. Since B_m is a subset of F for every m, B is a subset of F. Furthermore, every B_m is contained in B so B is an upper bound for the sequence (B_m). Recall that
liminf <= limsup for abstract reasons, so I show liminf = B then as limsup <= B. liminf {B_m} = sup{inf{B_k: k>= m}: m> 0}.

As B_{k+1} >= B_{k} for every k, so inf{B_k:k>= m}=B_m. Hence
sup{inf{B_k:k>= m}: m>0}=sup{B_m:m>0}. But B_{m+1}>= B_m so
sup{B_m:m>0}=union of all B_m, which is B.

Thus liminf{B_m} = B.

2. I say B_m "downarrow" if B_{m+1} is a subset of B_{m} for all m, so they are all nested downward. In this case I want to prove that

limsup B_m = liminf B_m = intersection of B_m over all m.

As B_{k+1} <= B_k I know that sup{B_k:k>=m}=B_m.

Thus limsup B_m=inf{B_m:m>0}=B -- the intersection of all B_m's.

Does this sound right?

Sincerely Mathman20

Last edited:

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It provides a foundation for all of mathematics and is used to describe and analyze mathematical concepts such as numbers, functions, and groups.

2. What are the basic concepts in set theory?

The basic concepts in set theory include sets, elements, subsets, union, intersection, and complement. Sets are collections of objects, and elements are the individual objects within a set. Subsets are sets that contain only elements from another set. Union refers to the combination of two or more sets, while intersection refers to the elements that are common to two or more sets. The complement of a set refers to all the elements that are not in that set.

3. How is set theory used in science?

Set theory is used in science to organize and analyze data and to describe relationships between different objects or concepts. It is particularly useful in fields such as computer science, physics, and biology.

4. What is the difference between finite and infinite sets?

A finite set is a set with a specific number of elements, while an infinite set has an unlimited number of elements. For example, the set of all whole numbers is an infinite set, while the set of all planets in our solar system is a finite set.

5. How does set theory relate to other branches of mathematics?

Set theory is the foundation of all mathematics and is closely related to other branches such as logic, algebra, and topology. It provides a framework for understanding and proving mathematical concepts and theorems.