1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP Setting up triple integral in spherical coordinate

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    HELP!! Setting up triple integral in spherical coordinate

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9139/83291277.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

I set up the bound for this problem as following:

r=0..2/cos(phi), phi=pi/2..3pi/4, theta=0..2pi, but maple always return an error in calculating such integral. I've included the Jcobian transformation in the integral, and convert x^2+y^2 to rho^2 sin(phi). I found that the problem was due to the denominator cos(phi) become zero at the lower bound. But the volume representing the respective volume integral makes sense, so how to correct for this? Am I setting up the integral wrong?

second problem:

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/3585/38264414.jpg [Broken]
    The same thing happens, please help!

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2009 #2
    Re: HELP!! Setting up triple integral in spherical coordinate

Use cylindrical coordinates instead.

4. Nov 19, 2009 #3
    Re: HELP!! Setting up triple integral in spherical coordinate

Thank you in advance. But is there a way to do it in spherical coordinate?

And for question 2, I did the command int(function,[x=..,y..,z..]) and it returns error

Error, (in assuming) when calling '`property/ConvertProperty`'. Received: 'real is an invalid property'

but I can evaluate it either by hand or by evaluating the integrals one by one in maple and that gives me [2*Pi*(3^21-1)]/21.

What's wrong?

Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook