Volume enclosed by two spheres using spherical coordinates

In summary, the problem asks for the volume of a solid enclosed between two spheres, but when I try to solve the problem it gives me an incorrect answer. Additionally, I'm not sure how to switch around the iterated order like the question suggests.
Forcefedglas

Homework Statement

Use spherical coordinates to find the volume of the solid enclosed between the spheres $$x^2+y^2+z^2=4$$ and $$x^2+y^2+z^2=4z$$

Homework Equations

$$z=\rho cos\phi$$ $$\rho^2=x^2+y^2+z^2$$ $$dxdydz = \rho^2sin\phi d\rho d\phi d\theta$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The first sphere is a sphere of radius 2 centered at the origin, and the second is a sphere of radius 2 centered at (0,0,2). So I tried setting the up the triple integral as $$\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi/2}\int_{4cos\phi}^{2} \rho^2sin\phi d\rho d\phi d\theta$$

Which gives me a negative answer. I'm guessing my bounds for phi or rho are off?

Additionally, the question suggests I use the iterated order $$d\phi d\rho d\theta$$ but I'm unsure how to change the iterated order around like it suggests. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First you need to specify exactly what region you are describing as "between" the spheres. In the cross section below, is the the blue or the green region?

upload_2016-5-11_9-20-11.png

In either case the limits depend on the ##\phi## value where the curves intersect. If it's the blue region you can go from ##\rho_{inner}## to ##\rho_{outer}##. If it is the green region you have to break it into two integrals depending on whether the ##\rho## radius is above or below the intersection point.

Last edited:
BvU said:
You chose mathematician's spherical coordinates ?:) ! (:smile:)

Can you explain the ##4\cos\phi## to me ?
##x^2+y^2+z^2=4z##, so ##\rho^2=4\rho cos\phi##

LCKurtz said:
First you need to specify exactly what region you are describing as "between" the spheres. In the cross section below, is the the blue or the green region?

View attachment 100575

In either case the limits depend on the ##\phi## value where the curves intersect. If its the blue region you can go from ##\rho_{inner}## to ##\rho_{outer}##. If it is the green region you have to break it into two integrals depending on whether the ##\rho## radius is above or below the intersection point.

I've typed exactly what the question asked so the question itself doesn't exactly specify, but I assumed it was the green section. The answer is ##10\pi/3## if that's any help.

Well, the answer of ##\frac{10\pi} 3## is consistent with the green region. To help you understand the problem, put your pencil on the origin in the picture. That is where ##\rho = 0##. Now move your pencil in the radial (##\rho##) direction across the green area. Which circle does it hit? Do you see that which circle it hits depends on whether you headed above or below the ##\rho## line I drew? That's why you need two integrals. In each ##\rho## goes from ##0## to the circle it hits. The limits on ##\phi## depend on whether you are above or below the angle I show in the diagram. So set those two integrals up and show us what you get.

##
\rho^2=4\rho cos\phi##
well, if ##\phi = 0## then ## \rho = 4## seems a strange lower bound to me...

BvU said:
well, if ##\phi = 0## then ## \rho = 4## seems a strange lower bound to me...

Yeah I know something's off with my bounds but I'm not sure how to get the correct bounds in this case; or how to switch around the iterated order like the question suggests.

LCKurtz said:
Well, the answer of ##\frac{10\pi} 3## is consistent with the green region. To help you understand the problem, put your pencil on the origin in the picture. That is where ##\rho = 0##. Now move your pencil in the radial (##\rho##) direction across the green area. Which circle does it hit? Do you see that which circle it hits depends on whether you headed above or below the ##\rho## line I drew? That's why you need two integrals. In each ##\rho## goes from ##0## to the circle it hits. The limits on ##\phi## depend on whether you are above or below the angle I show in the diagram. So set those two integrals up and show us what you get.

Ah ok I think I understand now, I found the angle of intersection by setting ##4cos\phi=2##, giving ##\phi=\pi/3## , so the integral becomes ##\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi/3}\int_{0}^{2} \rho^2sin\phi d\rho d\phi\ d\theta + \int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{\pi/3}^{\pi/2} \int_{0}^{4cos\phi} \rho^2sin\phi d\rho d\phi d\theta ##, and evaluating this gives ##10\pi/3##. One last question though, the question suggested that I change the iterated order to ##d\phi d\rho d\theta##, how would I do this and how would this simplify the problem?

Forcefedglas said:
Ah ok I think I understand now, I found the angle of intersecion by setting ##4cos\phi=2##, giving ##\phi=\pi/3## , so the integral becomes ##\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\pi/3}\int_0^2 \rho^2sin\phi d\rho d\phi\ d\theta + \int_0^{2\pi}\int_{\pi/3}^{\pi/2}\int_0^{4\cos\phi} \rho^2sin\phi d\rho d\phi d\theta ##, and evaluating this gives ##\pi/3##. One last question though, the question suggested that I change the iterated order to ##d\phi d\rho d\theta##, how would I do this and how would this simplify the problem?
I fixed your misplaced braces. You should get the correct answer now.

There is no point in switching the order of integration. And putting the ##\phi## before the ##\rho## integration is a bad idea because as it is, it's easy to solve for ##\rho## in terms of ##\phi##. To reverse the order you will get an inverse cosine in there. Not simpler.

LCKurtz said:
I fixed your misplaced braces. You should get the correct answer now.

There is no point in switching the order of integration. And putting the ##\phi## before the ##\rho## integration is a bad idea because as it is, it's easy to solve for ##\rho## in terms of ##\phi##. To reverse the order you will get an inverse cosine in there. Not simpler.

Oh ok, strange that the question suggested for me to do so then. Either way, thanks for all the help.

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume enclosed by two spheres using spherical coordinates?

The formula for calculating the volume enclosed by two spheres using spherical coordinates is V = (2/3)π(ρ23 - ρ13), where ρ2 and ρ1 are the radii of the larger and smaller sphere respectively.

2. How do you convert Cartesian coordinates into spherical coordinates?

To convert Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) into spherical coordinates (ρ, θ, φ), use the following equations: ρ = √(x2 + y2 + z2), θ = arctan(y/x), and φ = arccos(z/ρ).

3. Can you explain the concept of "enclosed volume" in relation to two spheres using spherical coordinates?

The enclosed volume refers to the space between two overlapping spheres that is bounded by both spheres. This volume can be calculated using the formula mentioned above, and is a useful concept in many scientific and mathematical applications.

4. What are some real-world applications of calculating the volume enclosed by two spheres using spherical coordinates?

One application is in the field of astronomy, where calculating the volume of overlapping celestial bodies can help determine the size and distance between them. It is also used in physics and engineering to calculate the volume of overlapping objects or particles in a given space.

5. Are there any limitations to using spherical coordinates to calculate the volume enclosed by two spheres?

One limitation is that this method is only applicable for calculating the volume of two spheres that are overlapping or intersecting. It cannot be used for non-overlapping or disjointed spheres. Additionally, the formula assumes that the spheres are perfect and do not have any irregularities or indentations.