Help Solve Supernova Assignment | Astro Community

• Thread starter Froddo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Urgent
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with an assignment on supernovas. They are trying to find the apparent magnitude of a supernova at its brightness maximum, given that the galaxy's apparent magnitude was 17.6 after the supernova flash, and 18.0 before the flash. The student also mentions a possible mistake in the text and asks for clarification on how to solve the problem.
Froddo
Hello Astro community, I really need help with few assignments!

First one would be about Supernova:
In a distant galaxy a supernova flash occured. When supernova reached luminosity maximum, galaxy apparent magnitude
was 17,6. Before the supernova flash the galaxy apparent magnitude was 18,0. What was the supernova's apparent magnitude at it's luminosity maximum?

Could you help me solve this and explain it to me ?

Karma !

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm sorry I did a mistake in the text, there's not luminosity mentioned.

In a distant galaxy a supernova flash occured. When supernova reached brightness maximum, galaxy apparent magnitude
was 17,6. Before the supernova flash the galaxy apparent magnitude was 18,0. What was the supernova's apparent magnitude at it's brightness maximum? What I'm trying to say is that there's no luminosity mentioned, only apparent magnitude. So I'm not sure if the luminosity and mass relation would help in this case.

In short : When the supernova flashed the galaxy had 17.6 apparent magnitude, before the flash it was 18. And I need to find apparent magnitude of the supernova when flash occurred ( supernova reached max)

L.K.

Hi there! I would be happy to help you with your assignment on supernovas. To solve this problem, we can use the formula that relates apparent magnitude (m), absolute magnitude (M), and distance (d):

m = M + 5log(d/10)

In this case, we know that the galaxy's apparent magnitude before the supernova was 18.0 and after the supernova reached its maximum luminosity, it was 17.6. We also know that the distance to the galaxy remains constant, so we can set the two equations equal to each other and solve for the absolute magnitude at maximum luminosity:

18.0 = M + 5log(d/10)
17.6 = M + 5log(d/10)

Subtracting the second equation from the first, we get:

0.4 = 0

This means that the absolute magnitude at maximum luminosity must be 0.4. We can then use this value to find the apparent magnitude at maximum luminosity by rearranging the formula:

m = M + 5log(d/10)
m = 0.4 + 5log(d/10)

Since we know the distance to the galaxy remains constant, we can substitute in the values for d and solve for m:

m = 0.4 + 5log(d/10)
m = 0.4 + 5log(1)
m = 0.4

Therefore, the supernova's apparent magnitude at its luminosity maximum would be 0.4. This means that the supernova would appear much brighter in the sky than the galaxy itself, as it has a lower apparent magnitude. I hope this explanation helps! Good luck with your assignment.

1. What is a supernova?

A supernova is a powerful explosion that occurs when a massive star reaches the end of its life. It is one of the most energetic events in the universe and can briefly outshine an entire galaxy.

2. Why is it important to study supernovae?

Studying supernovae can provide valuable insights into the life cycle of stars, the formation of elements, and the evolution of the universe. It can also help us better understand the physical processes involved in these explosive events.

3. How do scientists detect and classify supernovae?

Scientists use telescopes and specialized instruments to detect and classify supernovae. The brightness and spectral characteristics of the explosion can help determine the type of supernova it is.

4. What role do citizen scientists play in helping to solve supernova assignments?

Citizen scientists play a crucial role in helping to solve supernova assignments by assisting with data analysis, classification, and identifying new supernovae. This can greatly increase the efficiency and accuracy of supernova research.

5. What are some current research efforts focused on solving supernova assignments?

Current research efforts are focused on using new technologies and techniques to better understand the physics of supernovae and their progenitor stars. This includes studying the light curves, spectra, and chemical compositions of supernovae, as well as conducting simulations and modeling to better understand the processes involved.