Help solving this (simple?) circuit

• Engineering
  • Thread starter bjersey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation is about determining the voltage reading for indicated terminals in a circuit with a 500 and 2k ohm resistor in series and a 1k resistor in parallel. The experts discuss the use of ohm's law and explain that the voltage is the same in parallel while the current is the same in series. They confirm that the 500 and 1k resistors are in parallel, giving a 333.3k equivalent resistor, and that the current is flowing through this resistor as well. The use of ohm's law is suggested to calculate the voltage. There is also a suggestion to double check the calculation.
bjersey
i attached a picture of a circuit and my question is what is the voltage reading for the the indicated terminals... what I am thinking is that 500 and 2k ohm resistor in series... and then combine that in parallel with the 1k resistor? then use ohms law?

Attachments

• SuperPosI.gif
    SuperPosI.gif
    955 bytes · Views: 520
Physics news on Phys.org
What can you say about 500 and 1K resistors?

voltage is the same in parallel while current is the same in series. (ie: when you use a meter to measure voltage you put it across your resistor, hence you're measuring in parallel. If you want to measure current you put your meter leads and make it part of the circuit)

so the 500 and 1k resistors are in parallel i believe? which would give me a 333.3k resistor right? then that equiv resistor is pretty much in series with the 2 k resistor... which would mean the 1mA current is also flowing through the 333.3K resistor, then i could just use ohm's law to get voltage. please let me know if this is right

bjersey said:
so the 500 and 1k resistors are in parallel i believe? which would give me a 333.3k resistor right? then that equiv resistor is pretty much in series with the 2 k resistor... which would mean the 1mA current is also flowing through the 333.3K resistor, then i could just use ohm's law to get voltage. please let me know if this is right

That's correct.

See if you can double check your calculation, 333.3k sounds too large?

1. What is the purpose of solving a circuit?

Solving a circuit allows us to understand how electricity flows through a system and to determine the behavior of the components in the circuit. This knowledge is essential for designing and troubleshooting electronic devices.

2. What are the basic steps for solving a circuit?

The basic steps for solving a circuit include drawing a schematic diagram, applying Kirchhoff's laws, simplifying the circuit using series and parallel equivalent circuits, and using Ohm's law to calculate the voltage, current, and resistance at different points in the circuit.

3. Can you explain Kirchhoff's laws and how they are applied in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's laws state that the total current entering a node or junction in a circuit must equal the total current leaving the node, and the sum of the potential differences (voltages) around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. These laws are used to write equations based on the known values and unknown variables in the circuit, which can then be solved to determine the values of the variables.

4. How do I simplify a circuit using series and parallel equivalent circuits?

A series circuit is one in which all components are connected in a single loop, and the same current flows through each component. To simplify a series circuit, we can replace all the components with a single equivalent resistance that has the same effect on the circuit. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in branches, and the voltage across each component is the same. To simplify a parallel circuit, we can replace all the components with a single equivalent resistance that has the same effect on the circuit.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a circuit?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a circuit include not properly labeling the components and their values on the schematic diagram, using incorrect units or values in calculations, forgetting to take into account the direction of current flow, and not following the correct order of operations in calculations.