1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help solving this (simple?) circuit

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1
    i attached a picture of a circuit and my question is what is the voltage reading for the the indicated terminals... what im thinking is that 500 and 2k ohm resistor in series... and then combine that in parallel with the 1k resistor? then use ohms law?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2008 #2
    What can you say about 500 and 1K resistors?

4. Mar 26, 2008 #3
    voltage is the same in parallel while current is the same in series. (ie: when you use a meter to measure voltage you put it across your resistor, hence you're measuring in parallel. If you want to measure current you put your meter leads and make it part of the circuit)

5. Mar 26, 2008 #4
    so the 500 and 1k resistors are in parallel i believe? which would give me a 333.3k resistor right? then that equiv resistor is pretty much in series with the 2 k resistor... which would mean the 1mA current is also flowing through the 333.3K resistor, then i could just use ohm's law to get voltage. please let me know if this is right

6. Mar 26, 2008 #5
    That's correct.

See if you can double check your calculation, 333.3k sounds too large?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?