Help solving trigonometric equation?

In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation involving decimals and trigonometric functions. The equation was derived from a statics problem involving a disk and a spring. The main difficulty is dealing with the numbers and the conversation includes various attempts at solving the equation, including using trigonometric functions and a numerical solution.
hyper
Can someone please give me some tips on how to solve this? :

400*(2,2*cosV-1)*tanV=20*9,81, I am supposed to find V, but I can't see how to solve this equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does 2,2 represent 2.2 and 9,81 9.81? Show how much you've done already.

snipez90 said:
Does 2,2 represent 2.2 and 9,81 9.81? Show how much you've done already.

Yes, i am sorry, I am not familiar with the correct way to write decimals.

What I have done allready? I made this equation from a statics problem which required equlibrium of a disk with a spring around a quarter circle. I have tried checking the equation numerically and it gives the right answers, but I have no idea how I am supposed to solve the equation mathematically.

It's ok I've seen them written that way. The main difficulty I'm having is dealing with these not so nice numbers. I figured I would write everything in terms of sin and cos which would bring me to 2.2sin(V)cos(V) = sin(V) + (9.81/20)cos(V). The left hand side is 1.1sin(2V) but I'm not certain about the right hand side.

I'm not sure if there are better manipulations but if not a numerical solution will have to do.

What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, and one or more variables. These equations are commonly used to model and solve problems related to triangles and periodic phenomena.

How do I solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or substitution. You can also use trigonometric identities and inverse trigonometric functions to simplify the equation and find the solutions.

Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations. Most calculators have built-in functions for trigonometric functions and inverse trigonometric functions, making it easier to solve equations involving these functions.

What are the common mistakes when solving trigonometric equations?

Common mistakes when solving trigonometric equations include forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, using incorrect identities or formulas, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check your work and be familiar with the properties and rules of trigonometric functions.

How can I check if my solution to a trigonometric equation is correct?

You can check if your solution to a trigonometric equation is correct by substituting the values back into the original equation and verifying that it satisfies the equation. You can also graph the equation and the solution to visually confirm your answer.