Effective Techniques for Studying Algebra II/Trig - Tips and Suggestions

In summary: Can you explain what they mean?144 is the value of 144 when expanded to its full form. -144 is the value of -144 when expanded to its full form.
lj19 said:
For the left side, wouldn't you multiply -6.28 by 144? Then those equal 904.32.

im not sure why you would. the two multiplication problems on the left side are separated by addition.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I meant to ask: Wouldn't you multiply 144 by 15.71 to get 2262.24, and then since there is an addition sign, distribute 2262.24 to y and to -6.28. Or could you use the foil method before simplifying?

Just simple order of operations solves this one. At least the way i see it.

Ch3st3r said:
Here's one to make you think... What is γ?

144 x 15.71 + γ x 15.71 = (144 + γ) 14.05
Yes, this makes me think ... what a silly problem. I realize that you are all having a lot of fun with it, so more power to you, but after all is said and done, this is just a linear equation in y.

Ch3st3r said:
BTW... γ isn't -144... Just in case you thought you could take the easy way out and multiply everything by 0 (Zero) ;)) Have fun.

? If you multiply everything by 0, you get 0 = 0, which is obviously true but not very interesting. Chester, did you mean something else when you said "multiply everything by 0"?

Mark44 said:
Yes, this makes me think ... what a silly problem. I realize that you are all having a lot of fun with it, so more power to you, but after all is said and done, this is just a linear equation in y.

? If you multiply everything by 0, you get 0 = 0, which is obviously true but not very interesting. Chester, did you mean something else when you said "multiply everything by 0"?

read towards the bottom of the first page, he changed it after he realized it really was -144.

Could someone give me suggestions on how to do better on tests in this class?

lj19 said:

you can email me, i would be happy to go over stuff through gmail chat. Otherwise like i said earlier, i am a big fan of you tube videos, lots of different perspectives and approaches to problem solving.

Thanks, but no thank you on the emailing. Are there any specific people on YouTube that have a good selection of videos? One problem that occurred on the first test is that I ran out of time. There were 22 long questions that had to be completed in 40 minutes, and I did not finish, and I did not get everything I did complete right. On the second test, I did not get everything I completed right, but I completed the test.

You know, i don't have a favorit person, i search the problem that i am working on. Like "complex polynomial factoring" or "difference of cubes" etc. then i watch several of the videos to see how they differ and to reinforce the idea. If there is someone that i particularly like, i will go to there page and search through there stuff.

With that said, my textbook is not so great, but my professor is. I use the vids to explore all the ways to solve a problem.

I've heard a lot of good things about Khan Acadamy. I can't vouch for it personally, though.

Mark44 said:
Yes, this makes me think ... what a silly problem.
I thought I was the only one!

lj19 said:
If you know the layout of the next test (by being shown example tests and such) then definitely 100% certainly without a doubt go and do practice exams. This will give you a very good indication of how fast you need to go through the test if you set up exam conditions for yourself, such as timing yourself and marking your result after the exam by using an answer sheet or your teacher's help.

Good luck :smile: